Office: Hale ‘Ākoakoa 212
The WCC Counseling and Advising department is comprised of college counselors, faculty and support staff who work to support students’ personal and academic growth and development. We provide academic, career and personal counseling to assist students with decision-making in the exploration of their educational, career, and personal goals.
We collaborate with students to support learning, develop educational plans, provide referrals to resources and tools during their time at Windward. While most counselors are generalists, some counselors oversee certain programs and/or specialize in certain areas. We strive to create a supportive environment through intentional interactions with our diverse student body.
Counselors are here to assist students with:
Counselor and Student Kuleana (Responsibilities)
The advising process is a partnership and shared responsibility between student and counselor. As a result of Counseling and Advising, students will be able to:
- Identify career and academic goals that incorporate interests, values, and skills
- Develop and implement an academic plan
- Identify and utilize campus resources
- recognize advising is a shared responsibility and accept responsibility for their decisions.
- actively participate in identifying academic and career goals.
- come to appointments prepared with questions and/or topics for discussion.
- understand WCC procedures, policies, and important dates and deadlines.
- regularly read UH email and access resources in MyUH Services.
- monitor academic progress by utilizing STAR Academic Essentials.
- assist students in developing an academic and career plan toward graduation, transfer, and/or employment.
- provide information about WCC policies, procedures, majors, and degree requirements.
- empower students to be independent, resourceful thinkers.
- cultivate a positive, nurturing environment and establish clear communication.
- be accessible to students.
- provide referrals to appropriate campus and community resources.