Connect with Ka Piko Tutoring
Students can connect with a virtual tutor two ways:
- From their personal device (personal computer/laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc.)
- From one of our tutoring rooms in the Library (Hale Laʻakea 222 and 224)
View our visual instruction guide (pdf).
Option #1: Drop-In Tutoring
Students can drop-in anytime during live hours (while tutors are working). Once logged in and on the waitlist, a unique Zoom room will be generated and set to you via email/text. Simply click on the link to get your tutoring session started.
Connect with a tutor by following these steps:
- View the tutoring schedules
- Connect with a Ka Piko tutor
- Wait for an email/text with your tutor’s Zoom link
- Click the link to start your tutoring session
Option #2: Appointment-Based Tutoring
Students can book an appointment with our services for a future tutoring session. Once you’ve booked an appointment, you will receive an email with the session’s Zoom link. Appointments must be booked at least 24 hours in advance. Read our other online tutoring policies.
Book an appointment by following these steps:
- Login to STAR Balance via star.hawaii.edu/appointment/
- Select “Tutoring, Tech & Learning Centers” from the left navigation pane
- Select “WCC Math Lab” or “WCC Writing Lab”
- View the available time slots and select the time you would like to make an appointment.
- Complete the pop-up form with information about your tutoring appointment.
- An email confirmation of the appointment will be sent to your hawaii.edu email account. That email contains the Zoom link for your future tutoring appointment.
Ka Piko at Windward Community College is committed to student success by providing testing, tutoring, and success workshops to help students build a foundation for independent lifelong learning and self-efficacy.
Ka Piko services are FREE for all WCC students!
Ka Piko Tutoring:
The Math Lab provides assistance for all math courses offered at WCC, helping to improve students’ understanding of important concepts and problem solving processes.
The Speech Lab provides assistance for a variety of communication needs including: preparing and delivering presentations, visual aids, organization and outlining, research, and APA formatting and citations.
The Writing Lab provides assistance with any and all aspects of the writing process, including: brainstorming, research, MLA formatting and citations, drafting, and revising.
Ka Piko Embedded Tutoring:
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic support program that targets historically difficult courses. An SI Leader attends their assigned course each time it meets and hosts SI Sessions, which are regularly-scheduled, out-of-class review sessions in which students work collaboratively to understand course content and prepare for examinations. WCC has the only accredited SI program in the State of Hawai‘i by the International Center for Supplemental Instruction.
Ka Piko Testing:
The Testing Center provides the following test proctoring services:
- Placement tests
- Distance Education online and written tests
- Make-up tests and retests for campus courses
These services are free to all UH System students, and for a fee, to non-UH System students and private organizations.
For more details on testing services and procedures, visit the Testing Center page.
Ka Piko Student Tech Support:
Ka Piko Student Tech Support can help students with Google@UH, Laulima, MyUH, UH accounts, and can provide best-effort support for problems or questions with personal computers and other smart devices. Connect with a Ka Piko Student Tech Assistant online via STAR Balance (during live office hours) or by completing our Help Form.
Ka Piko Student Tech Support