The University of Hawaiʻi system, along with Windward Community College is committed to building an inclusive community that supports and advocates for all Students, Staff and Faculty. We welcome all members of our campus community to our campuses: transgender, māhū and people of all gender identities.
All members of our campus community deserve a work and educational environment free from harassment or bullying based on their sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Windward Community College Commissioners:
Lisamarie Bensman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Instructor of Psychology
Commissioner for Windward Community College
All Gender Restrooms
All gender restrooms are located in Hale Alakai near room 102 as well as on the third floor of Hale Laakea.
Safe Zone Program
The Safe Zone Program’s objective is for trained participants to utilize their gained knowledge and skills to foster a safe and inclusive community for LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff to promote social justice in the University of Hawaiʻi System.
Upon completion of a Safe Zone Training, participants will be invited to become Advocates in the University of Hawaiʻi System Safe Zone Program.
Any office or faculty/staff member that has the LGBTI Safe Zone poster is a part of the previous Safe Zone Allies Program. Any office or faculty/staff/student office that has the LGBTQ+ Safe Zone Poster declared they are advocates. Click on the link for the list of faculty/staff/students at Leeward Community College who have declared they are an ally or an advocate.
Download the LGBTQ+ Resource Bookmark (pdf)
Resources listed on bookmark are also listed below:
LOCAL COMMUNITY RESOURCES
- ACLU Hawai’i
- C.R.E.A.T.E. One Ohana
- Equality Hawai’i
- eXpression! Magazine
- GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian, & Straight Education Network Hawaiʻi)
- GSA (Gay Straight Alliance Hawaiʻi)
- Hawaiʻi LGBT Legacy Foundation
- The Imperial Court of Hawaiʻi
- Life Foundation
- The LGBT Center Waikiki: 808-369-2000
- Mental Health America of Hawaiʻi
- Rainbow Family 808:
- The Trevor Project 24hr hotline: 1 (866) 488-7386
- ACCESS National Hotline: 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255
Resources and Advocacy:
- Campus Pride
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
- Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network
- Human Rights Campaign
- International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission
- It Get’s Better Project
- FORGE-Improving Transgender Lives
- Lambda Legal
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- National LGBTQ Task Force
- National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance
- Out Serve Service Members Legal Defense Fund
- Safe Schools Coalition
- Transgender Law Center
“HELP! I feel that I have been harassed or discriminated against based on my gender expression, sexual orientation, or gender identity.”
As a student of the University of Hawai’i, you have rights and responsibilities, including protections based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression. Title IX protects gender-based harassment, including harassment based on actual or perceived sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Faculty or staff members may contact the UHM Equal Opportunity Office/Affirmative Action at 808-956-7077.