Lactation Room Policy and Procedures
Lactation Room services are available to Windward Community College employees and registered students seeking a private space to express breastmilk. Employee/student identification is required for access to the Lactation Room.
Procedures to Access the Lactation Room
- Please submit your request to Kahea Tani, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 808-235-7405, three to five (3-5) business days in advance of the requested accommodation, if possible.
- Once your request has been processed, a representative from Administrative Services will contact you to coordinate access to the space.
The Lactation Room is located in Hale Kako’o, Room 130
- Place the “Do Not Disturb” sign on the outside of the door prior to use, and remove from door after use is complete. Be sure to leave the sign in the room after use.
- The Lactation Room’s sole intent is for the purpose of expressing breast milk. Any other purpose is in violation of the intent and policy of the room.
- Please maintain cleanliness of this room, and do not leave any items in the room for storage after use. The University is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- Please report any maintenance issues with the room by immediately calling the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services at 235-7405.
- The sole intent of this refrigerator is to provide an alternative space to store expressed milk during the work day.
- All breast milk stored should be labeled with mother’s name and date, and taken home daily.
- Any items remaining in the refrigerator at the end of the work week will be disposed of.
- Please maintain the cleanliness of the refrigerator, and wipe any spills that may occur.
Services (subject to change): Access to the Lactation Room is available by request, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excluding State holidays. Accommodations outside of this time frame may be made on a case-by-case basis.
Offices Responsible for Referrals/Compliance: Windward CC Human Resources Office, Office of Student Affairs, and Title IX Coordinator(s).
Federal Law Reference: Section 4207 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act requires employers to provide reasonable break time and a private, non-bathroom place (Lactation Room) for nursing mothers to express breast milk during the work day for up to one year after a child’s birth.