Skip to Main Content

Hale Alakaʻi will be temporarily closed from May 20 for electrical repairs. Read more for relocations and details.

To View Your SAP Status

  1. Log onto your MyUH Services
  2. Select View My Financial Aid Information (All campuses)
  3. Click on the Financial Aid tab
  4. Click on Academic Progress under My Eligibility
  5. Select the campus you are admitted to and the aid year (e.g. Windward CC Aid Year 2023-24)
  6. Click on Submit

Please Note:  Your information will be viewable only IF you have already submitted a FAFSA or Financial Aid Application beginning with the 2021-2022 school year.


668.32(f) | 668.34 (link to Sept 2, 2020 amendment) | 668.16(e)

Federal regulations require that a student receiving financial aid under the Title IV programs make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) in accordance with the standards set by the home campus, University of Hawai’i Community Colleges and the US Department of Education pursuant to 34 CFR 668.34. The law and federal regulations require that progress be determined using both qualitative and quantitative measures.

General Policy

Financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is separate and distinct from the institution’s academic progress policy. All credits attempted in any semester of enrollment at the student’s home campus, regardless of aid status, will be counted when calculating all measures of satisfactory academic progress.

In order to be eligible for financial aid the student must meet specific academic requirements. Financial aid calculations for GPA, as well as, credits earned and attempted includes all home campus and transfer coursework ever taken. These calculations may be different from what the student sees on their academic transcript. The minimum academic requirements and the student’s current status can be viewed in their MyUH Services portal.

Frequency of Evaluation:

Student’s academic progress will be evaluated annually. For students placed on Probation and have Academic Plan requirements, satisfactory academic progress will be evaluated at the end of every payment period.

For students in certificate programs that are less than 24 credits, academic progress will be evaluated at the end of every term.

Minimum Standards for Academic Progress 

Qualitative Measure (GPA)


Students must maintain a minimum cumulative Financial Aid grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0. For Financial Aid purposes, GPA is calculated by dividing the total points earned by the total credits attempted. 

  • Grades will be calculated into the student’s GPA as follows:(A-4 points, B- 3 points, C- 2 points, and D- 1 point, F-0 points). 
  • The following grades will not be calculated into the student’s GPA: Credit/No Credit (CR/NC), No Grade (N), Withdrawal (W), Incomplete (I), Record Delayed (RD), Audit (L), Credit by Exam (CE). 


Kimo completed his first year in school

  • Fall semester grades: Math 100 ‘D’, Eng 100 ‘B’. 
  • Spring semester grades: Math 100 ‘B’, Bio 100 ‘A’. 
  • Institutional GPA is 3.33. Kimo’s first ‘D’ grade is no longer counted in institutional GPA because he retook the class and received a higher grade. 
  • Financial aid GPA is 2.75. Financial aid calculates grades for every class that Kimo has taken. 

Kimo is meeting the minimum GPA requirement but this example shows how an institutional and financial aid GPA may differ.

Quantitative Measure (Pace & Maximum Time Frame) 

668.34(a)(5) | 668.34(b)

Pace (Completion Rate)

Students must successfully pass/complete at least 67% of all credits attempted (calculation will be rounded down to the nearest percent).


Since Kimo started attending school, he attempted 60 credits. He only successfully completed (passed) 50 credits because he withdrew from a few classes and failed one. The calculation is 50 credits divided by 60 credits equals 83% (50 ÷ 60 = 0.833 or 83%). Therefore, Kimo has met the completion rate criteria.

  • Grades: The following grades will be considered as credits attempted but not earned: Failing (F), No Credit (NC), No Grade (N), Withdrawal (W), Incomplete (I), Record Delayed (RD).
  • Incomplete Grades: An incomplete grade will be calculated as no credit earned until it reverts to a letter grade and is posted to the student’s academic record. The Registrar’s Office will notify the Financial Aid Office of any changes to Incomplete grades. Students may also contact the Financial Aid Office when a grade changes, once it is posted to their academic record.
  • Audit: Audited classes are not eligible for financial aid and will not be counted towards credits attempted or completed.
  • Credit by Exam: Credit by exam (CE) will be counted as credits attempted and completed.
  • Transfer Credits: All transfer credits will be counted as credits attempted and completed.
  • Repeat Courses:
    • Students who repeat a course for which they have already earned a passing grade may be allowed to receive funding to repeat that course only ONCE.
    • All repeat courses will count as credits attempted and earned (if passed) which may be different from the institution’s academic progress policy.
  • Concurrent Enrollment Courses:
    • Concurrent enrollment courses taken at another campus that are “completed” will be factored into the completion rate when the courses are transferred into the student’s home campus. 
    • Concurrent enrollment courses that are not completed/earned but have been included towards the student’s financial aid credit load will be counted as an attempted but not completed credit(s) towards your completion rate.
  • Administrative Withdrawal Credits: Administrative Withdrawal credits may be counted as attempted but not completed credit(s)
  • Academic Renewal: Any credits forgiven through academic renewal will still be counted as credits attempted for credit completion rate.

Maximum Time Frame

Students must complete their degree program within 150% of the credits required for their degree program. All attempted credits previously mentioned will be applied towards a student’s time frame. Students who are unable to complete their program and achieve minimum SAP standards by the end of their timeframe may be determined ineligible for financial aid.

  • Change of Major: Students may choose to change their major at any time, however, all credits previously attempted at the college and accepted transfer credits will be counted in their new major and resulting maximum time frame.
  • Remedial/Developmental credits: A student is allowed 30 remedial English and Math credits that are not counted towards the maximum time frame. 
  • English as a Second Language: ESL credits are not counted against the time frame. 
  • Transfer Credits: All credits will be factored into the maximum time frame 
  • Non-applicable Program Credits: Non-applicable credits to a student’s current major may be factored into the maximum time frame. 
  • Multiple Degrees: When a student completes a degree at the home campus, the student may continue receiving financial aid for a second or subsequent degree. Students must complete and submit a Financial Aid Degree Completion Form to the Financial Aid Office. Please contact your home campus Financial Aid Office for deadlines. 


    Kimo’s degree program requires 60 credits to graduate; therefore, he must complete his degree program within a total of 90 credits (60 credits x 150% = 90 credits). 

Failure to Meet Minimum Standards for Academic Progress

Financial Aid Suspension

668.34(a)(9), (c)(3)(ii),(iii), (d)(2)(ii),(iii) | 668.42(c)(2)(ii)

Students who do not meet the minimum standards for academic progress or have exceeded the allowable maximum time frame will not be eligible to receive financial aid.

Reinstatement of Financial Aid

To reinstate eligibility, a student must meet all three of the following conditions:

  1. Have a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.0. 
  2. Complete at least 67% of all credits attempted (includes all credits reflected on the transcript). 
  3. Be able to graduate within the 150% time frame allowed by Federal regulations. 

Appealing a Financial Aid Suspension

Appeal Process

A student who is not eligible may appeal if they have experienced unusual hardship that prevented the student from meeting the minimum standards. Such situations must be exceptional, generally beyond their control, and non-recurring in nature. Common situations that may cause a student to fail to meet SAP standards include:

  • Family difficulties, such as divorce or illness; 
  • Interpersonal problems with friends, roommates, significant others; 
  • Difficulty balancing work, family responsibilities, etc., and school; 
  • Financial difficulties.

The appeal must explain why the student failed to make satisfactory academic progress and what has changed in the situation that will allow the student to demonstrate progress at the next evaluation. Student’s must complete and submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form to the Financial Aid Office. Students will be notified of an appeal decision via their UH email. Please contact your home campus Financial Aid Office for any deadlines.

A student’s appeal will not be considered if they are unable to meet the minimum cumulative academic standards (2.00 cumulative GPA and 67% cumulative completion rate) by the end of their financial aid timeframe.

Academic Probation

If an appeal is approved, the student is placed on Financial Aid Probation and given academic requirements to complete per semester until they meet the overall Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. The academic conditions will be monitored after every payment period. Students who do not meet the academic conditions will be suspended and ineligible for financial aid. Students are notified of their suspension status via their UH email.

Academic Plan

Student’s with an approved appeal will be placed on a Financial Aid Probation status and be required to meet with a Financial Aid Advisor to discuss academic requirements of their plan. For students with an Academic Plan, the Financial Aid Office will review their progress at the end of each payment period. Students will be notified of any updates to their academic standing via UH email.