Encouraging and Supporting Education for our Koʻolau Communities
A partnership between Windward Community College and Harold K.L. Castle Foundation
A college education is vital for competing in today's global economy. For many on O'ahu's Windward side, higher education and its many benefits are beyond financial reach. Paipai o Ko'olau works to change that. With a grant from the Harold K.L. Castle Foundation, 200 promising individuals will be chosen to attend Windward Community College with financial and academic support.
Paipai o Ko'olau is a project to increase college enrollment and graduation for the Ko'olaupoko and Ko'olauloa communities. Working with community partners to identify individuals who can benefit from college, Paipai o Ko'olau will provide scholarships and academic support to 50 students each year over the next four years, nurturing them from admission to graduation.
Paipai o Ko'olau provides support to students who are residents of Windward O'ahu and have demonstrated financial need that creates a barrier to entering college.
Priority is given to students who:
- are Native Hawaiian
- have not previously attended college
- have other needs that may affect their ability to attend college
- will not be able to attend college without Paipai o Ko'olau's support
- have strong recommendations from community partners
Applicants need to submit the Application and Application Checklist. The Community Partner Referral Form is similar to a letter of recommendation and needs to be filled out by someone who knows the applicant well and can attest to their dedication to school.
Recruitment and Outreach
- Promote the Paipai o Ko‘olau program: Print out the brochure and give to individuals you think may meet eligibility requirements!
- Assist with the application process: If someone you know is applying, offer to submit the Community Partner Referral Form on their behalf!
- Become a Community Partner: Serve as an official affiliate to help identify and refer individuals who could benefit from the Paipai o Ko‘olau program. See below for details!
Paipai Community Partners
- Community Partners directly impact the success of this program through their ability to reach those in the community who can most benefit from Paipai o Ko‘olau!
- How it Works:
- Community Partners receive orientation on the goals and eligibility requirements of Paipai o Ko'olau.
- Community Partners identify individuals who can benefit from college and write referrals on their behalf. Referrals are used to:
- Demonstrate and attest to whether or not applicant meets the specified eligibility requirements.
- Serve as strong supporting evidence of applicant eligibility in the applicant review process.
- Establish a connection between the applicant and recommender to encourage keeping in touch as the to-be student progresses while they are enrolled in college.
- For more information, please call 808-235-7326.