Skip to Main Content

State of Hawaiʻi law mandates that certain health requirements be cleared before students can enter into postsecondary institutions. The following information is provided to assist students with fulfilling these requirements prior to beginning classes at UH.

What does Hawaiʻi State Law require for Post-Secondary School attendance?

The Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules, Chapter 11-157, requires all students to meet immunization requirements before they attend any post-secondary school in the state.

What are the health requirements for Post-Secondary School attendance in Hawaiʻi?

  • Immunizations
    A record of immunizations, signed or stamped by a U.S. licensed practitioner (physician, Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, or Physician Assistant) or the Hawaiʻi Department of Health, must be presented for school attendance.
  • Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance
    For information regarding TB clearance requirements, contact the Hawaiʻi Department of Health Tuberculosis Control Branch:
    Phone: 808-832-5731 Web:

What immunizations are required by the 1st day of school?

  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
  • Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap)
  • Varicella

If you do not have the required immunizations by the first day of school, you must provide an appointment card from your doctor showing you are in the process of completing the missing immunizations.

Per the law, a student who has not completed all of the immunizations or does not have an appointment card from their doctor by the 1st day of school WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND SCHOOL until these requirements are met.

Where can I get immunizations?

Speak with your doctor. If you don’t have a doctor and need one, call Aloha United Way 2-1-1.

Print the Health Clearance Form and bring it to your medical provider. The medical practitioner will review the requirements, enter the required information, and sign the form. Note that forms must be completed by a US licensed practitioner. A US licensed practitioner signed record of immunizations (and any supporting documentation – with dates) may be submitted in lieu of the UH Health Clearance Form.

Please submit your signed Health Clearance Form to the Admissions & Records Office by email (, in-person (Hale Alaka‘i 112), or by mail:

Admissions & Records
45-720 Kea‘ahala Rd.
Kaneohe, HI 96744

If you need any additional information regarding health clearances, please call the Admissions and Records Office at 808-235-7432.