Skip to Main Content

Hale Alakaʻi is temporarily closed for electrical repairs. Read more for relocations and details.

'Ike Kaiāulu Talk Story: (Re)Building Foundations

fri17nov1:00 pmfri2:00 pmVirtual Event'Ike Kaiāulu Talk Story: (Re)Building Foundations1:00 pm - 2:00 pm(GMT-10:00)

Event Details

The Waikalua Loko Iʻa (fishpond) has been many things to many people throughout the years.  Most recently, there has been an establishment of the Waikalua Aquatic Center and a great need to grow food for the community. In this talk-story we will get to learn more from our community partners Herb Lee and Floyd McCoy about this and all of the challenges that come with it. 

Did you know that 80 to 90 % of our food and energy is imported!

Did you know that approximately 63% of all seafood consumed in our state is imported from the U.S. mainland and foreign countries (Hawai‘i Department of Agriculture, 2019). Of the remaining 37%, only a fraction of that comes from local aquaculture operations.  

Did you know that the Hawai‘i State Legislature passed Senate Concurrent Resolution 135 designating last year, 2022, as ”The Year of the Limu,” officially recognizing the importance of limu to Native Hawaiians. What do we need to do as a community to make Limu the food source it can be?

Time

November 17, 2023 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm(GMT-10:00)