IS 152: The Common Book (1 credit)
The Common Book Program encourages students, faculty and staff at the College to read a single book and participate in a semester-long discussion of different themes that are raised. The course will offer a sustained engagement with the Common Book program. Additional readings and course assignments will be designed to enrich the appreciation of the book. (1 hour lecture)
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Identify and describe several important themes in the Common Book.
- Clearly explain and evaluate how one important theme in the Common Book is addressed by different academic disciplines.
- Examine and interpret social, political and moral issues through the Common Book.
- Relate at least three diverse academic disciplines to themes in the Common Book.
- Carefully justify one's own interpretation of the Common Book.
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page