HWST 275: Wahi Pana: Mythology of the Hawaiian Landscape (3 credits)
Wahi Pana: Mythology of the Landscape, is designed to illuminate Hawaiian intelligence regarding the geographic features of these islands. Students will
undertake a basic study of the natural sciences from a Western/modern perspective. They will then look at various Hawaiian chants and epic tales to explore the connections with indigenous knowledge forms found in a Hawaiian worldview. Cross-cultural comparisons are made with the goal of bringing forth specific, physical information about important Hawaiian places. Students will gain cultural awareness of their surroundings through the bridging of geography and the mythology studied, thus creating a more Hawaiian sense-of-place in our community. (3 hours lecture)
Pre-Requisite(s): Grade of "C" or better in HWST 107, or
Recommended Preparation: REL 205.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Students will compare and contrast landscape descriptions, mythology, and human behavior from different cultural perspectives.
- Students will analyze Hawaiian mythology as it applies to Hawaiian place names, Native Hawaiian social history, and Native Hawaiian relationship to the natural environment.
- The student will explain the importance of place in the island ecosystem and the values of environmental sustainability.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Spring 2019 - T, 1:00pm to 3:30pm, Hale Aʻo 107, Donna Camvel - CRN: 60356
- Fall 2019 - T, 1:00pm to 3:30pm, Hale Aʻo 101, Donna Camvel - CRN: 62275
- Fall 2018 - T, 1:00pm to 3:30pm, Hale Aʻo 106, Donna Camvel - CRN: 64402 - view syllabus
- Spring 2016 - M, 11:30am to 2:15pm, Hale Aʻo 107, Donna Camvel - CRN: 61390 - view syllabus
- Fall 2014 - MW, 11:30am to 12:45pm, Hale Aʻo 107, Ian Masterson - CRN: 62149 - view syllabus
- Fall 2013 - TR, 1:00pm to 2:15pm, Hale Aʻo 107, Ian Masterson - CRN: 64233 - view syllabus
- Fall 2012 - F, 1:00pm to 5:00pm, Hale Pālanakila 227, Ian Masterson - CRN: 61303
- Fall 2011 - MW, 2:00pm to 3:15pm, Hale Pālanakila 227, Ian Masterson - CRN: 63405 - view syllabus