CM 240: Introduction to Digital Music Production (3 credits)
Introduction to digital music and sound production on the Macintosh platform: MIDI sequencing, audio recording, music arranging, editing, mixing and mastering; preparing audio files for CD, video and web applications; sound synthesis and programming using virtual instruments. (Cross-listed as MUS 240.) (3 hours lecture )
Pre-Requisite(s): MUS 108, 121 (alpha) or 253; or consent of instructor.
Recommended Preparation: Basic Keyboard (piano) skills, computer (Mac) skills.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Use MIDI sequencing and audio recording software, and/or notation software, as tools for music composition, arranging and performance
- Apply basic skills in MIDI sequencing and editing, and digital audio recording and editing to audio mixing and mastering projects
- Prepare audio files for CD burning, and video and web applications
- Apply understanding of sound synthesis to create original sounds for music projects
- Transfer skills to other MIDI sequencing and digital audio software programs across PC and Mac platforms
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page