Download/View Spring 2018 Convocation Schedule (pdf)
Day 1 - Thursday, January 4th 2018: Convocation
: Morning refreshments adn Check In
– New Hires' Key Distribution by Kawai Shapiro
Morning Assembly 9:00-12:30 – Akoakoa 101/103/105
: Oli – Makanani Sala
Welcome - Chancellor Doug Dykstra
: Vice President John Morton
: New Hires, retirements - Doug Dykstra
: Proposed QFE (Quality Focus Essay) - Distance Education - Doug Dykstra
: Proposed QFE - Native Hawaiians - Ardis Eschenberg, Amy Rozek, Sarah Sur
: Accreditation - ISER (Institutional Self Evaluation Report) Activity
- Each writer (7) to give a short presentation on his/her assigned substandard(s)
- Robert Barclay to provide general instructions on giving helpful feedback.
- Faculty & staff to read on their laptops on specific substandard(s) and fill out feedback sheet.
- Faculty & staff will meet with writer(s) in designated rooms to discuss and hand over their feedback sheets.
: What's for lunch? - Char Akina
Lunch 12:30-1:25 p.m - Akoakoa Atrium
Keynote Speaker - Akoakoa 101/103/105
: Dr. Pam Cox-Otto, CEO, Interact Communications
The “Student Experience” and how each of us play a role in helping students navigate their journey to completion.
Day 2 - Friday, January 5, 2018
9:00 am – 12:00 pm in Hale A'o
Hawaiian Studies, the Sustainability Hui and the Hālau Ola Honua Environmental Science grant project will sponsor a Lā Mālama ‘Āina followed by potluck lunch.
Breakout Sessions 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. (Hale Palanakila)
- Room 104: Safe Zone Training, co-sponsored by the UH Commission on LGBTQ+Equality (Lexer Chou, Ryan Koo & Charles Sasaki)
- Room 102: Cyber Security – Protect Your Computer and Yourself! (Stephen Chang) Topics to be covered:
- Cyber Security vs Cyber Safety
- Computer and network security
- Risk of using modern computer devices and the Internet
- Available software to combat the bad guys
- Room 124: Assessment – Jan Lubin & Frank Palacat
- Room 122: Introducing ZOOM for Video Conferencing: Wow-o-Wee! – Alex Parisky
Session will include a hands-on demonstration of the new video conferencing platform that we will be utilizing at Windward CC this upcoming year. ZOOM is already being used by UH College of Education and we have been piloting it here at WCC thanks to Kapiolani CC. Bring your laptops! Computers will be available upon request.
Breakout Sessions 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (Hale Palanakila)
- Room 104: Disability Matters: Know, Care, and Act – Ann Ito, Director of KOKUA Program at UH Manoa and Ann Lemke
- Room 102: The TPRC Meeting from HELL – Presented by EXCELL (Educators X (Cross- System) Committee for Enhancement and Lifelong Learning) Training will include:
Be there . . or suffer the consequences
- Watching the interactions of a dysfunctional TPRC
- Discussion about TPRC policies, procedures & processes
- Generation of a list of TPRC member “best practices”
- Experts from the UHCC HR office, the Union and WCC Chancellor to answer your questions
- Room 124: What’s New in Laulima 11 – Elizabeth Ratliff