Title: Planning and Budget Council
Reference: BOR Policy 5-1.b.1. Review of Established Programs; UHCC Policy 5.202, Review of Established Programs
Background and purpose: The Planning and Budget Council provides advice and counsel to the Chancellor regarding economic, political, industry, and programmatic forces that are currently or will have impact on the College’s plan of action that is designed to accomplish specific goals. Initiatives to achieve these goals are justified by assessment, analysis, and evidence of community needs. A major outcome of the PBC’s work is regular review and updating of the Strategic Plan and the prioritization of the College Budget.
The goals of the Planning and Budget Council (PBC) are to ensure that the College is best positioned to:
- Utilize and/or leverage the College’s strengths;
- Fortify the College’s areas of weakness;
- Take advantage of new opportunities; and,
- Monitor and respond to external complexities.
The primary mission of the PBC is to:
- Review, evaluate, and update the College Strategic Plan, at least once a year;
- Prioritize strategic actions based on program reviews, annual reports, and summary reports from the deans and directors; and,
- Review, evaluate, prioritize, and make recommendations to the Chancellor regarding the use of resources in the College budget, and regarding resource requests for future funding.
Authority: The PBC formulates recommendations and submits them to the Chancellor for approval and implementation. All recommendations stemming from the PBC are treated as advisory. The Chancellor reserves the right to accept, in whole or in part, or refuse the Council’s recommendations.
- If the Chancellor does not implement or accept the Council’s recommendation, the Chancellor will provide a written explanation to the Council.
- If the vote on a Council decision or recommendation is close (difference of 4 votes or less), the Council may present a majority and minority written report to accompany the formal recommendation.
Definitions/categories: Responsibilities of the Council are:
MISSION STATEMENT AND GOALS:
- Coordinates periodic review of the College Mission, Vision, and Goals/Core Values statements
STRATEGIC ACTION PLAN AND BUDGETING PROCESS:
- Coordinates annual review and update of the College Strategic Plan, including ensuring the integration of results of Annual Assessments and Program Reviews into the College Strategic Plan and decision-making processes;
- Recommends proposed planning initiatives, including specific budget requests and resource allocations, in accordance with System guidelines and in line with the College strategic planning needs and institutional assessment processes;
- Develops, communicates and utilizes criteria to prioritize strategic planning and budget initiatives;
- Addresses operational issues and setting operating guidelines/deadlines;
- Makes recommendations to the Chancellor regarding priorities and allocations for the operating budget, equipment budget, lectureship budget, and student assistants’ budget.
- Coordinates communication with and between governance bodies;
- Monitors College processes and outcomes related to institutional research and institutional effectiveness;
- Maintains an open dialogue with the member’s respective constituency;
- Communicates general College issues to the member’s constituency, and shares a perspective on issues that are or will impact the PBC’s and College goals.
- Provides a forum for discussions related to academic and student needs, security and safety, and other matters; and,
- Disseminates information related to operational issues and matters.
- The Chancellor will convene the Planning and Budget Council and the recorder will be the Chancellor's secretary. When voting is required the majority vote will prevail. Quorum for the Council is half of the membership + 1.
- The Council will review all program reviews and annual assessments to prioritize items for budget consideration and for modifying the Strategic Plan.
- The unit, department, or program is responsible for filling in the Planning and Budget Council Summary Sheet for each budgetary item requested and placing it on top of the Annual Assessment/Program Review by the November 16th deadline.
- The Planning and Budget Council Summary Sheet and Annual Assessment/Program Review will be posted no later than November 20th on the Planning and Budget Council website.
- Between November 20 and January 22, Planning and Budget Council members will review the Planning and Budget Council Summary Sheets, and the Annual Assessments/Program Reviews for all programs.
- On January 22, the Planning and Budget Council will submit all Summary Sheets with their ratings for each budget item to the Convener.
- From January 22 to February 2, the Convener tabulates the Summary Sheets and establishes an agenda.
- On February 5, 12, 19, and 26, the Planning and Budget Council reviews and prioritizes the budget requests and allocations.
- From March 1 to March 15, the Planning and Budget Council submits its recommendations to the Chancellor.
- At the end of March the Chancellor determines the budget allocations and the
Planning and Budget Council receives the Chancellor’s Report and rationale as stipulated under Authority above.
- From April through the end of the semester in May, the Planning and Budget Council will meet once a month to update the Strategic Plan based on resource allocation discussions.
- From July 1, allocations to the budget and modifications to the Strategic Plan are implemented.
- The council discussions, recommendations, and decisions will be documented by the Chancellor's secretary via minutes and via PBC memos to the Chancellor and will be posted on the WCC website.
- November 15th or the Monday after if November 15 is on a weekend, all Annual Assessments and Program Reviews are due.
- November 20th or the Monday after if November 20 is on a weekend, all Annual Assessments and Program Reviews are posted to the Planning and Budget Council site.
- January 22th or the Friday after Martin Luther King Day, Planning and Budget Council members
- January 22 – February 2, the Convener tabulates the Summary Sheets and establishes an agenda
- February 5, 12, 19, and 26, the Planning and Budget Council reviews and prioritizes the budget requests and allocations.
- March 1 – 15, the Planning and Budget Council submits its recommendations to the Chancellor
- The end of March, the Chancellor determines budget allocations and gives a report with rationale for any changes to the Planning and Budget Council
- April – May, the Strategic Plan is updated as a result of allocation discussions by the Planning and Budget Council
- July 1, Allocations and modifications based on Planning and Budget Council review are implemented.
The Faculty Senate member; Operational, Institutional, Academic Support, and Student Services members, WCCASUH member, Ke Kumu Pali member, and the Employment Training Center member will be elected by their units to two-year terms. All other participants are members through their positions or are designated by their units. If any member cannot attend a meeting, they should appoint someone who can act as their proxy. Proxies have the authority to vote on issues that come up at any meeting they attend.
- Coordinator of Computing Services, or designee
- Coordinator, OCET, or designee
- Accreditation Liaison Officer
- Faculty Senate Member
- Department Chair – Language Arts, or designee
- Department Chair – Social Sciences, or designee
- Department Chair – Business and Math, or designee
- Department Chair – Humanities, or designee
- Department Chair – Natural Sciences, or designee
- Operational Support Member
- Institutional Support Member
- Academic Support Member
- Student Services Member
- WCCASUH Member
- Ke Kumu Pali Member
- Employment Training Center Member
- Director of Planning and Program Evaluation
- Director of Institutional Research
- Chancellor (ex officio, non-voting)
- Vice Chancellor of Instruction
- Vice Chancellor of Administrative Affairs
- Vice Chancellor of Student Services
- Director of Vocational and Community Education
- Chancellor’s Secretary (non-voting, recorder)
Responsibilities: The Director of Planning and Program Evaluation through consultation with the Chancellor will update these policies and procedures.
Effective date: November 2009
Revised date: Procedure will be reviewed every two years.