Hurricane Douglas Preparation
July 23, 2020
Aloha Windward Community College ʻOhana,
As has recently been reported Hurricane Douglas is now a category 4 hurricane. While the National Weather Service has predicted that the system will gradually weaken as it approaches ʻOahu, it is anticipated that ʻOahu will be impacted by tropical-storm-force winds, rain, and flooding sometime Sunday. In anticipation of Hurricane Douglas, in order to prepare the campus and your workspace, we ask that all employees do the following before leaving your office and workspace for the weekend:
- Unplug (from the wall) ALL electronic items, including but not limited to your computer, external hard drive, coffee pot, etc.
- Close all windows tightly. Water is the most damaging condition, and the hardest to overcome.
- Empty any refrigerators of any perishables.
Additionally, in anticipation of a possible power outage and/or power surge, we will be shutting down the campus building A/C systems, to protect the A/C equipment, from 12:00 am on Sunday, July 26 until approximately 8:00 am on Monday, July 27, when the O&M crew is able to assess the campus condition and the A/C system.
Please pay close attention to UH email, text messages, and the media for further information on the hurricane and campus status. As a reminder, if you have not signed up for UH Alert messaging, please do so via the following website: https://www.hawaii.edu/alert/
Here are some helpful resources as you prepare your own hale:
- Hawaii News Now Hurricane Checklist
- Hawaiian Electric Emergency Preparedness Handbook
- Red Cross Hurricane Evacuation Shelters list (pdf)
Be safe and take care of each other!
Ardis and Kelli