The Federal CARES Act provides institutions of higher education with emergency funding to help students impacted by COVID-19. Windward Community College’s CARES program provides emergency grants to students whose lives have been disrupted by the coronavirus and are facing financial challenges. Stipend amount is $300.
The Spring 2021 stipends are intended to provide financial support to cover expenses related to technology needs, ie, WiFi*, chromebook, ipad, headphones, etc.
*Addresses one of greatest challenges identified by Spring students (internet connection.) The amount was based on estimate of high speed internet for five months.
The criteria is as follows:
- Windward Community College, declared as your home campus
- Classified degree or certificate seeking student
- Enrolled for at least 6 credits
- Filed a FAFSA for 2020-21
- Meets Title IV eligibility criteria+, including making Satisfactory Academic Progress in 2020-2021
+Title IV eligibility criteria include, but are not limited to the following: U.S. citizenship or eligible noncitizen, a valid Social Security Number, registration with Selective Service (if student is male), and a high school diploma, GED or completion of high school in an approved homeschool setting.
Factors considered in determining grant recipients and amounts for Fall 2020:
- Effort to help students enrolled during the pandemic to continue into Spring 2021
- Intended to help cover costs related to technology needs