- Board of Regents Policies, Chapter 4, Planning
- UH System-wide Executive Procedures E4.201
- UH System-wide Administrative Procedures, A4.000
Background and purpose:
This policy replaces WCC Policies 4.1 AND 4.2 as the Planning and Budget Council has replaced the Strategic Planning and Budget Committees at Windward Community College.
The Planning and Budget Council provides advice and counsel to the Chancellor regarding economic, political, industry, and programmatic forces that are currently or will have impact on the College’s plan of action that is designed to accomplish specific goals. Initiatives to achieve
these goals are justified by assessment, analysis, and evidence of community needs. A major outcome of the PBC’s work is the regular review and updating of the Strategic Plan and the prioritization of the College Budget.
The PBC reviews all program reviews, annual assessments, departmental reports and other assessments to prioritize items for budget consideration and/or to modify the Strategic Plan.
The PBC formulates recommendations and submits them to the Chancellor for approval and implementation. All recommendations stemming from the PBC are treated as advisory. The Chancellor reserves the right to accept, in whole or in part, or refuse the Council’s recommendations.
The primary mission of the PBC is to:
- Review, evaluate, and update the College Strategic Plan, at least once a year;
- Prioritize strategic action based on program reviews, annual reports, instructional and noninstructional assessments, and summary reports from deans and directors; and,
- Review, evaluate, prioritize, and make recommendations to the Chancellor regarding the use of resources in the College budget requests, and regarding resource requests for future funding.
Budget requests are discussed through the review of Planning and Budget Council forms. The Planning and Budget Council Handbook (attached) contains all the information on how the PBC reviews and prioritizes all budget requests for the College as well as definitions needed by requestors who are filing out the forms.
Membership on the Planning and Budget Council differs according to the position of the person representing a unit. The Faculty Senate member, Operational, Institutional, Academic Support, and Student Affairs members, the WCC-ASUH member, the Ke Kumu Pali member, the Phi Theta Kappa member, and the Office of Career and Community Education member will be elected by their units to two-year terms. All other participants are members through their positions or designated by their units. If any member cannot attend a meeting, they should appoint any bonafide member of their constituency to act as their proxy. Members must notify the Chancellor’s secretary and the convener prior to the meeting of who they have designated as their proxies. Proxies have the authority to vote on issues that come up at any meeting they attend.
- Academic Support Member
- Accreditation Liaison Officer
- Coordinator of Computing Services
- Coordinator of Office of Career and Community Education
- Department Chair – Math and Business
- Department Chair – Humanities
- Department Chair – Language Arts
- Department Chair – Natural Sciences
- Department Chair – Social Sciences
- Director of Institutional Research
- Director of Office of Career and Community Education
- Director of Planning and Program Evaluation
- Staff Senate Member
- Institutional Support Member
- Ke Kumu Pali Member
- Operational Support Member
- Phi Theta Kappa Member
- Student Affairs Member
- Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Vice Chancellor of Administrative Affairs
- Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs
- WCC-ASUH Member
- Chancellor (ex officio, non-voting)
- Chancellor’s Secretary (non-voting, recorder
- IEC Representative (ex officio, non-voting)
- Faculty Senate Member (ex-officio, non-voting)
- Student Affairs Member – Counselor
The Planning and Budget Council will meet either the first and third or second and fourth Fridays from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. during the Fall and Spring semesters. Additional meetings will be scheduled if necessary. Meetings usually begin the third week of each semester and follow a modified version of Robert’s Rules of Order.
During the Fall semester the Planning and Budget Council:
- Reviews and updates the Windward Community College Strategic Plan on an annual basis, including ensuring the integration of results of Annual Assessments and Program Reviews into the review and update process;
- Develop, communicates and utilizes criteria to prioritize strategic planning and budgeting initiatives; and,
- Addresses operational issues and set operating guidelines and priorities.
During the Spring semester, the Planning and Budget Council:
- Recommends proposed budget requests and resource allocations, in accordance with System guidelines and in line with Windward Community College needs and institutional assessment;
- Makes recommendations to the Chancellor regarding priorities and allocations for the operating budget, new and replacement equipment budget, and new and replacement position authorization.
If recommendations to the System need to be made during the Summer, a sub-committee of 11- month faculty, staff, administrators and volunteers from the membership will be established that will make decisions and inform the rest of the membership of how they reached their decision and what was passed on to the System.
When necessary, the Planning and Budget Council will create sub-committees or task forces to research areas for member discussion. This will be done on a case-by-case basis.
A quorum is established when at least 50 percent plus one of the Planning and Budget Council members or their proxies are present. A motion passes if a majority votes in favor of it. If there is a tie, the non-voting member of the IEC will vote to break the tie.
Responsibilities: The Director of Planning and Program Evaluation through consultation with
the Chancellor, and with benefit of assessment results, will update this policy every five years.
(Members can suggest modifications)
Effective date: January 2017.
Revised date: January 20, 2017.