* As of spring 2016, these certificate programs are not currently admitting new students.
The curriculum is designed for students desiring entry-level employment or to enhance their skills in the field of plant landscaping (landscape maintenance, turfgrass maintenance, nursery operations, and/or retail plant outlets). All courses are taught with a “hands-on, learn-by-doing” philosophy. Students are expected to make sound decisions about real life horticultural and environmental situations.
At the conclusion of the program, students will be able to:
- Describe common plant and insect life cycles; understand basic plant nutritional requirements and plant propagation techniques
- Demonstrate landscape maintenance skills or turfgrass maintenance skills
- Recommend common controls for plant pests
- Properly manage soil for plant growth
- Operate common landscape and turfgrass equipment