Title IX



Related Links

If you wish to REPORT an incident of sex discrimination or gender-based violence including sexual assault, sexual harassment, gender-based harassment, domestic violence, dating violence or stalking as well as receive information and support, please contact:

Brian Pactol, Title IX Coordinator, Hale Alaka‘i 120, Phone: (808) 235-7403, Email: pactol@hawaii.edu

Amy Rozek, Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Students, Hale Akoakoa 202A, Phone (808) 235-7466, Email: amyrozek@hawaii.edu

Karen Cho, Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Employees, Hale Alakai 120, Phone: (808) 235-7404, Email: kcho@hawaii.edu

45-720 Kea'ahala Road, Kane'ohe, HI 96744

For more resources and a comprehensive list of services available, please refer to Related Links on this webpage.

TITLE IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 is a federal law that states:

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

Windward Community College is committed to providing a learning, working and living environment that promotes personal integrity, civility, and mutual respect and is free of all forms of sex discrimination and gender-based violence, including sexual assault, sexual harassment, gender-based harassment, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. If you or someone you know is experiencing any of these, Windward Community College has staff and resources on our campus to support and assist you. Staff can also direct you to resources that are in the community. Here are some of your options:

If you wish to remain ANONYMOUS, speak with someone CONFIDENTIALLY, or would like to receive information and support in a CONFIDENTIAL setting to discuss an incident or obtain information regarding sex discrimination and/or gender based violence, please contact our campus Designated Confidential Advocate for Students, Kaahu Alo, Student Life Coordinator, at 808-235-7354 or via email at kaahualo@hawaii.edu, or visit Hale Akoakoa Room 232.

WCC also provides short-term mental health counseling to assist students in managing personal life challenges. Our mental health counseling service provider is also considered a Confidential Resource where students can seek assistance related to sex discrimination and gender-based violence. Confidential resources of the campus will not share information about or received from a student, without the student’s informed consent, unless imminent threat to life or of bodily injury exists, or there is a legal obligation to reveal such information, e.g., in an employment context or suspected abuse or neglect of a minor.

Please contact Karla Silva-Park at 808-235-7468 or via email at karlas@hawaii.edu to make an appointment, or visit Hale Kako‘o Room 101 for Mental Health Counseling.

Students seeking confidential assistance for cases specific to Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, or Stalking may contact our on-campus Domestic Violence Action Center Advocate, Shyla Haven at (808) 294-5483 or via email at shylah@stoptheviolence.org, or visit Hale Kako‘o Room 112, Monday & Tuesday 9:00AM – 5:00PM.

DVAC advocates can support students with comprehensive services including:

  • Risk assessment
  • Safety planning
  • Individual advocacy
  • System advocacy
  • Domestic violence education
  • Legal information
  • Assistance with Title IX process and procedures
  • Crisis counseling
  • Accompaniment to relevant appointments including court and/or University hearings/li>

As a confidential resource, DVAC does not release information to the University or any member of the public about individual students they serve without the student’s informed consent (except as mandated by law). On occasion, some services may require a formal reporting process. On these occasions, DVAC will work with the student to navigate the process to find alternative means to meet the student’s needs.

Individuals experiencing harassment or discrimination also always have the right to file a formal grievance with government authorities:

Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
Seattle Office
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
915 Second Avenue Room 3310
Seattle, WA 98174-1099
Telephone: (206) 607-1600
FAX: (206) 607-1601;
TDD: (800) 877-8339
Email: OCR.Seattle@ed.gov

U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Educational Opportunities Section, PHB
Washington, D.C. 20530
Telephone: (202) 514-4092 or (877) 292-3804 (toll-free)
Fax: (202) 514-8337)
Email: education@usdoj.gov


February 24, 2015