The purpose of TRiO Student Support Services (TRiO SSS) is to provide services to increase retention, graduation, and transfer rates from two-year to four-year colleges/universities, and to foster an institutional climate supportive of the success of low-income, first-generation, and/or disabled college students.
In order to reach this goal, TRiO SSS always strives to create an atmosphere where students feel comfortable and have a “homebase” on campus.
Our motto is T.H.E. “TRiO Helps Everybody” and our mantra is “TRiO for Life”!
TRiO Student Support Services (TRiO SSS) is a federally funded program.
Hours (Spring 2018)
Monday - Friday: 7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
We offer the following services, FREE of charge, to students who qualify for TRiO SSS:
- Individual and/or small group tutoring for many WCC courses
- Academic advising to assist with course selection and preparation for graduation
- Early registration for courses (before the rest of campus)
- Financial aid assistance
- Financial Literacy (student loans, credit cards, budgeting, etc.) Tools such as CashCourse
- Grant aid to lessen loan burden
- Workshops on how to apply for scholarships, FAFSA, writing a personal statement, study skills, transfer to a 4-year college/university, and more!
- FAFSA Night provides assistance applying for FAFSA on the first night it opens
- VITA Tax Service Center provides assistance filing federal and state taxes
- Summer Math course offerings
- 24/7 access to study areas and meals during finals
- Computer lab and printing
- Fun and food at campus-wide events
- Variety of study and gathering areas (indoors/outdoors, quiet/loud)
You are eligible if you are:
- a US citizen,
- enrolled or accepted at Windward Community College,
- meet the criteria of low-income,
- a first-generation college student (i.e. neither of your parents completed a bachelor’s degree), and/or
- a student with a disability
How to Apply
Please visit the TRiO SSS Main Office located in Hale Kako’o 116 or call 808-235-7487 to request an application.
Peer Tutoring Positions Available
Help fellow students succeed by becoming a Peer Tutor for TRiO SSS!
Peer tutors must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits in the University of Hawaii system and:
- earned an “A” or “B” in the course(s) you wish to tutor
- received certification from a teacher recommending you as a tutor for the particular course(s)
Please visit the TRiO SSS Main Office located in Hale Kako’o 116 or call 808-235-7487 to inquire further.