skip to main content

Academic Probation Policy


Academic and Finanical Aid Policies Are Different!

Be aware that ACADEMIC policy is different from FINANCIAL AID policy. There are instances where students are eligible to attend school, but not eligible for financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid office if you have questions regarding Financial Aid eligibility.

Here’s a summary of Windward CC’s Academic Probation Policy.

The policy is available (PDF) on the college's policies page.

Students are expected to make satisfactory academic progress, which is the path to graduation, to successful transfer to a university, and to better job opportunities!

Maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.0 is the criteria for SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS.

A 2.0 is equivalent to a C average for ALL courses taken at Windward. The 2.0 GPA is important – you can't graduate if your cumulative GPA is below 2.0! This is true at accredited colleges and universities across the nation. Think of 2.0 as a "magic number."

  • The Nitty Gritty: W, N and NC grades are not calculated in GPA for Academic Probation.

Passing the credits you’ve enrolled in is also important, since this is considered in financial aid eligibility. Passing classes is also important to your academic record, and to your wallet! Your tuition bill is based on the number of credits you register for. Each credit not earned is money NOT well spent. Enroll in only what you have time and energy for, and focus on working to complete your courses successfully. If you need to lighten your course load, drop classes by refund deadlines whenever possible.

If you do not make satisfactory academic progress, a hold is automatically placed on your MyUH registration account and you'll be sent a letter notifying you of ACADEMIC ACTION taken.

There are four levels of academic actions. The first time that your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 you will be sent a warning. The next steps are PROBATION, then SUSPENSION, and ultimately DISMISSAL.

What Happens If You Do Not Make Satisfactory Academic Progress?

For more comprehensive information, please see the Academic Regulations section in the current WCC Catalog

To make satisfactory academic progress at Windward CC, you need to keep your cumulative GPA at 2.0 or higher.

If you do not make satisfactory academic progress, a hold will automatically be placed on your MyUH registration account. You will not be able to access your registration until you attend a mandatory advising session with your assigned counselor. You may also receive a phone call or an email at your address.

It's important that you come in for help early! WCC's academic counselors can help you figure out where you stand, offer suggestions for managing school with your other responsibilities, and guide you in getting back on track to reaching your educational goals.

Remaining on the UAP (Unsatisfactory Academic Progress) list can ultimately lead to dismissal from Windward. Each step in the sequence of events is described below; these are called “Academic Actions.” Actions are taken at the end of Fall and Spring semesters (not summer).


The first time your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 you’ll receive a WARNING letter. You are eligible to continue at WCC. You’ll need to raise your cumulative GPA to 2.0 by the end of your next semester, or be subject to PROBATION.


Once warned, if you’re unable to raise your cumulative GPA to 2.0, you’ll be put on PROBATION. You are eligible to continue at WCC. While on PROBATION, you must earn a minimum semester GPA of 2.0 to remain in school. Hint: While on probation, a good rule to follow is to withdraw from any courses in which you are not earning a grade of C or better. You will remain on probation until your cumulative GPA is raised to 2.0 or higher.


While on probation, if you are unable to earn a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher, you will be suspended.

Being suspended means that you take one semester off. Often times, students run into academic difficulty due to things outside of school: work, family, personal emergencies. The break gives you time to take care of those things and return when you’re able to make school a priority. You’ll need to turn in a new application for the semester of return, and you’ll be readmitted on probation.


Upon return from suspension, you’ll be DISMISSED if you fail to meet the terms of probation. Being dismissed means that you will not be allowed to take classes at Windward again.

But I don’t have time to see a counselor. What can I do to help myself?