The WCC Early College High School (ECHS) program targets Native Hawaiian, First Generation, and low SES students while at high school (HS). College instructors teach college courses at the high school. These courses have the same content and student learning outcomes as our on campus courses. However, success is promoted by partnering the college instructor with a high school instructor, “the success coach,” who helps to motivate, engage, track, and mentor students. Removing financial, transportation, and social barriers by offering the classes at the high schools tuition free for high school students only further promotes success.
- 429 Dual Enrolled students at WCC
- 19% of total WCC enrollment
- 94% overall success rate (C or better)
- 25-30% of students continue post-graduation to WCC, which is higher than the overall rate from any of our target high schools and higher than most ECHS programs.
- 3.4 average GPA for ECHS students
- High Schools served include
- Castle HS
- Hakipuʻu Learning Center
- Kahuku IHS
- Hawaiian Academy of Kahuku IHS
- Kailua HS
- Ke Kula o SM Kamakau
- Kamehameha Schools, Kapālama Campus
- Nānākulu HS
- Olomana School
- Roosevelt HS.
- Courses are offered both in English and Hawaiian medium.
- For more information about Early College for Hawaiian medium institutions, contact Windward CC’s Mala Aʻoaʻo Early College Counselor Ulu Kahikina at firstname.lastname@example.org and (808) 462-4713, or Mala Aʻoaʻo Coordinator Kalae Akioka at email@example.com. For general information about Early College, contact Early College High School Coordinator Kehau Iwashita at firstname.lastname@example.org and (808) 235-7465.
The legislature has authorized $2.5 million for high schools statewide to pay for coursework for the 2019-20 school year. This does not provide for counselors, textbooks, enrichment and other support. WCC is able to provide this support because of the generosity of the Harold KL Castle Foundation, Kamehameha Schools and US DOE Title III. Mahalo to our Student Affairs ʻohana for all the support they provide to make this happen!
News Release: http://www.hawaii.edu/news/article.php?aId=10005
View statistics and enrollment information with the ECHS Dashboard.