MUS 240: Introduction to Digital Music Production (3 credits)
Introduction to digital music and sound production on the Macintosh platform: MIDI sequencing, audio recording, music arranging, editing, mixing and mastering; preparing audio files for CD, video and web applications; sound synthesis and programming using virtual instruments. (3 hours lecture)
Pre-Requisite(s): MUS 108, 121 (alpha) or 253; or consent of instructor.
Recommended Preparation: Basic Keyboard (piano) skills, computer (Mac) skills.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Use MIDI sequencing and audio recording software, and/or notation software, as tools for music composition, arranging and performance.
- Apply basic skills in MIDI sequencing and editing, and digital audio recording and editing to audio mixing and mastering projects.
- Prepare audio files for CD burning, and video and web applications.
- Apply understanding of sound synthesis to create original sounds for music projects.
- Transfer skills to other MIDI sequencing and digital audio software programs across PC and Mac platforms.
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
Note for Students in Online MUS 240
This course uses Logic Express (or Pro) on the Macintosh platform. It will be taught entirely online, making regular use of Laulima, hawaii.edu email, and Twitter. In addition to the prerequisite piano or instrumental performance course, students are required to:
- Have access to a dependable iMac, MacPro or MacBook with Logic Express 9 or Logic Pro 9 installed, and a reliable broadband internet connection.
- Have access to a USB MIDI keyboard, a USB audio interface and/or a microphone.
- Have access to suitable headphones, earbuds or speakers for audio monitoring.
- Check hawaii.edu email regularly.
The computer with Logic installed must be at hand prior to the first day of class.
A limited number of keyboards, audio interfaces and microphones are available to be checked out for the semester. Please note that the Logic software cannot be loaned out and must be purchased.
Upon registering, please contact Renee for specific information on preparing for class. Mahalo! firstname.lastname@example.org, 235-7481.
- Fall 2015 - MW, 5:30pm to 7:00pm, Hale La‘akea 110, Renee Arakaki - CRN: 60500 - view syllabus
- Spring 2014 - M, 5:30pm to 8:00pm, Hale Pālanakila 124, Renee Arakaki - CRN: 60686 - view syllabus
- Fall 2013 - M, 5:30pm to 8:00pm, Hale Pālanakila 124, Renee Arakaki - CRN: 64454 - view syllabus
- Fall 2013 - asynchronous , Renee Arakaki - CRN: 64455 - view syllabus
- Spring 2011 - TR, 5:30pm to 6:45pm, Hale Pālanakila 124, Renee Arakaki - CRN: 61159 - view syllabus
- Fall 2011 - R, 5:00pm to 7:30pm, Hale Pālanakila 124, Renee Arakaki - CRN: 63376 - view syllabus
- Spring 2010 - TR, 7:15pm to 8:40pm, Hale Pālanakila 124, Renee Arakaki - CRN: 63233 - view syllabus
- Fall 2009 - TR, 5:30pm to 6:55pm, Hale Pālanakila 124, Renee Arakaki - CRN: 62223 - view syllabus
- Fall 2008 - MW, 7:15pm to 8:40pm, Hale Pālanakila 124, Renee Arakaki - CRN: 64309 - view syllabus