ZOOL 200: Marine Biology (3 credits)
Biological, physical, and chemical characteristics, flora and fauna, and interactions of components of marine ecosystems; survey of marine environments; utilization, exploitation, pollution, and conservation of marine resources; with special emphasis on the Hawaiian marine environment. (3 hours lecture)
Recommended Preparation: Registration in ZOOL 200L.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the process and philosophical basis of scientific inquiry.
- Distinguish between living things and inanimate objects.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the physical and chemical characteristics of the marine environment, especially those of the Hawaiian marine environment, and how they impact marine life.
- Communicate knowledge of the diversity of marine organisms, especially Hawaiian species.
- Exhibit an appreciation of the interaction between structure and function of marine life and how marine organisms are taxonomically related.
- Illustrate and provide examples of the ecological role of and relationships between marine organisms.
- Describe the major life zones of the ocean and the adaptations of living things relevant to being a successful species in these zones.
- Recognize and suggest solutions to the negative impacts of human activities on the marine environment.
- Research and write, using the language of the field, about a marine biology topic.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Spring 2019 - MR, 1:50pm to 2:35pm, , William Smith - CRN: 60434
- Fall 2015 - asynchronous , Dave Krupp - CRN: 60518 - view syllabus
- Spring 2014 - asynchronous ,G Aeby - CRN: 60581 - view syllabus
- Fall 2012 - asynchronous , Dave Krupp - CRN: 61296
- Spring 2011 - TR, 11:15am to 12:30pm, Hale ʻImiloa 123, Michelle Smith - CRN: 61323 - view syllabus
- Fall 2011 - asynchronous , Dave Krupp - CRN: 63389
- Spring 2009 - TR, 11:15am to 12:30pm, Hale ʻImiloa 123, Dave Krupp - CRN: 60291 - view syllabus
- Fall 2007 - M, 1:30pm to 3:10pm, Hale ʻImiloa 123, M Kaneshiro-Pineiro - CRN: 61284
- Spring 2006 - MW, 10:30am to 2:00pm, Hale ʻImiloa 123, R Steyn - CRN: 61223