HWST 131: Hula Ōlapa 'Elua: Traditional Hawaiian Dance II
Continuation of HWST 130. In this second class students will learn intermediate traditional hula interpretations. Foot work and hand gestures of traditional
hula will be reinforced accompanied by chanting, Ipu Heke (double gourd) or Pahu (drum). Students will be exposed to chants, and pule of traditional and
ceremonial protocols related to the discipline of hula. Students may also be required to make accompanying instruments, like Ipu (smaller single gourd), Kala‘au (sticks), ‘Ili‘ili (stones), and Pū‘ili (split bamboo) under the direction of the class instructor. Students will be taught different historical aspects of specific hula, associated hula mythology, ali‘i (chiefly) genealogies; plants, and place names. (2 hours lecture, 2 hours lecture/lab)
Pre-Requisite(s): Credit for HWST 130, and enrollment in or credit for HAW 101 or HWST 107
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Describe and discuss the stories behind the creation and performance of various hula.
- Perform several hula demonstrating the relationship between movements and the
significance of lyrical content in mele.
- Prepare and use adornment for specific hula.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Spring 2018 - MW, 1:00pm to 2:15pm, Hale A‘o 102, Makanani (Carly) Sala - CRN: 62200
- Fall 2017 - MW, 1:00pm to 3:00pm, Hale A‘o 102, Makanani (Carly) Sala - CRN: 61273 - view syllabus
- Spring 2017 - MW, 1:00pm to 3:00pm, Hale A‘o 102, Makanani (Carly) Sala - CRN: 64275 - view syllabus
- Spring 2016 - TR, 9:00am to 11:00am, Hale A‘o 102, Makanani (Carly) Sala - CRN: 61385 - view syllabus
- Fall 2016 - MW, 1:00pm to 3:00pm, Hale A‘o 102, Makanani (Carly) Sala - CRN: 63479 - view syllabus
- Spring 2014 - TR, 1:00pm to 3:00pm, Hale A‘o 102, Sky Gora - CRN: 60678
- Spring 2013 - TR, 1:00pm to 3:00pm, Hale Pālanakila 224, Sky Gora - CRN: 62250
- Spring 2012 - MW, 1:00pm to 3:00pm, Hale Pālanakila 224, Nicole Hind - CRN: 64369