HWST 115: Mo‘okūauhau: Hawaiian Genealogies (3 credits)
This is a course in which students will learn about the centrality of genealogy to Hawaiian history, culture, and family. Students of any ancestry or
background will gain value in learning about a central aspect of Hawaiian culture, and in doing research that is geared toward either their own family genealogy or the researching of the genealogies of public figures, or historical figures. Students will be guided through a research process and set of research methodologies for vital statistics, land, tax, census, historical material, and online resources. Students will also learn chiefly and family genealogies of Hawai‘i, which is a Hawaiian method through which some of the history of Hawai‘i is also explored. By completion of the semester, students will be expected to assemble a genealogy and family history beyond what they might already have completed before enrollment in this class for either themselves or a public figure cleared by the instructors of this course. (3 hours lecture)
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of the centrality and importance of genealogy to Hawaiian culture.
- show knowledge of some of the major genealogies of Hawaiian chiefs and large families in Hawai'i.
- demonstrate the ability to conduct research in public and private institutions in Hawai'i, and through the use of internet genealogy web sites.
- show that they are able to research and construct a genealogy and family history.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Spring 2020 - T, 1:00pm to 2:15pm, Hale Aʻo 106, Peter (Kalawai`a) Moore - CRN: 63382
- Spring 2015 - T, 1:00pm to 2:15pm, Hale Aʻo 116, Peter (Kalawai`a) Moore - CRN: 63402 - view syllabus
- Fall 2013 - T, 1:00pm to 2:15pm, Hale Aʻo 116, Peter (Kalawai`a) Moore - CRN: 64427
- Fall 2012 - T, 1:00pm to 2:15pm, Hale Alakaʻi 106, Peter (Kalawai`a) Moore - CRN: 61301
- Fall 2011 - T, 12:30pm to 1:45pm, Hale Aʻo 101, Peter (Kalawai`a) Moore - CRN: 63402