ENG 18: Reading Essentials (3 credits)
This course provides practice in developing basic reading skills and learning strategies to help students succeed in college. Vocabulary development, comprehension skills, and study skills are the focus of this course. (3 hours lecture)
Pre-Requisite(s): Placement Into ENG 18 or higher, grade of "C" or better In ENG 8, or consent of instructor.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an increase in reading vocabulary through various ways, such as applying newly learned reading vocabulary in writing assignments.
- Apply literal, interpretative, and critical reading skills to comprehend and analyze various types of reading material.
- Apply various study skills strategies, such as a reading-study system to understand and retain information in informative material, time management, and lecture and textbook notetaking strategies.
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Spring 2014 - MW, 10:00am to 11:15am, Hale Pālanakila 117, Carol Cunha - CRN: 60452 - view syllabus
- Spring 2013 - MW, 8:30am to 9:45am, Hale Pālanakila 117, J H Oshiro - CRN: 62175
- Fall 2013 - MW, 8:30am to 9:45am, Hale Pālanakila 117, J H Oshiro - CRN: 64486 - view syllabus
- Fall 2013 - MW, 8:30am to 9:45am, Hale Pālanakila 117, J H Oshiro - CRN: 64488 - view syllabus
- Fall 2013 - TR, 11:30am to 12:45pm, Hale Pālanakila 225, Carol Cunha - CRN: 64491 - view syllabus
- Summer 2012 - MTWR, 8:30am to 10:05am, Hale Pālanakila 104, Leslie Lyum - CRN: 60055
- Fall 2012 - TR, 10:00am to 11:15am, Hale La‘akea 220, Leslie Lyum - CRN: 61391
- Fall 2012 - MW, 8:30am to 9:45am, Hale ‘Ākoakoa 113, J H Oshiro - CRN: 61477 - view syllabus
- Spring 2012 - MWF, 10:00am to 11:20am, Hale ‘Ākoakoa 132, Leslie Lyum - CRN: 64229
- Spring 2011 - MWF, 8:30am to 9:20am, Hale Kuhina 114, Maureen Malanaphy - CRN: 61295 - view syllabus
- Fall 2011 - MWF, 11:00am to 11:50am, Hale ‘Ākoakoa 113, Lori Rawleigh - CRN: 63423 - view syllabus
- Fall 2010 - MWF, 8:30am to 9:20am, Hale Pālanakila 104, Ellen Ishida-Babineau - CRN: 60360 - view syllabus