CHEM 152L: Survey of Organic and Bioorganic Chemistry Laboratory (1 credit)
Techniques of preparation, purification, and identification of organic compounds. (3 hours laboratory)
Pre-Requisite(s): Credit for CHEM 151L and credit for or registration in CHEM 152.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Develop an appreciation for the methods of scientific inquiry through laboratory experiments.
- Identify functional groups of organic chemicals using tests based on chemical properties.
- Carry out common laboratory methods of separation and purification of materials.
- Prepare polymers, esters, soap and other common organic chemicals.
- Apply laboratory safety procedures, recognize and respond to hazards.
- Gain experience in the use of several techniques to identify unknown chemicals and detect enzyme activity.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page