BOT 210: Phytobiotechnology (4 credits)
Introduction to practical aspects of Plant Biotechnology. Topics include micropropagation techniques, such as plant tissue, cell and protoplast cultures: DNA-based technologies, such as DNA extraction, DNA sequencing, PCR; and methods of plant genetic engineering. This course is designed to train students for careers in advanced agriculture technology and industry. (3 hours lecture, 3 hours laboratory)
Pre-Requisite(s): Credit for or registration in BOT 101, or AG 152, or MICR 130 and MICR 140, or BIOL 171 and 171L. Placement into MATH 100 or higher.
Recommended Preparation: High school biology or chemistry, MATH 24.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Apply the principles of genetics.
- Discuss and perform experiments including plant/bacterial/human DNA/protein electrophoresis, Southern and Western blots, plant genetic engineering using biolistic bombardment and bacterial gene transformation.
- Apply bioinformatics and DNA sequencing.
- Discuss bioethical issues, risks and benefits of biotechnology.
- Produce lab reports using the standard scientific format.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Fall 2019 - MW, 1:00pm to 3:30pm, Hale ʻImiloa 106, Hongwei Li - CRN: 62365
- Spring 2018 - MW, 8:30am to 11:00am, Hale ʻImiloa 106, Hongwei Li - CRN: 62355 - view syllabus
- Spring 2016 - MW, 10:00am to 12:30pm, Hale ʻImiloa 106, Hongwei Li - CRN: 61372 - view syllabus
- Fall 2014 - WF, 1:00pm to 3:30pm, Hale ʻImiloa 106, Hongwei Li - CRN: 62168 - view syllabus
- Fall 2013 - MF, 1:00pm to 3:30pm, Hale ʻImiloa 106, H McCafferty - CRN: 64266
- Fall 2012 - MF, 1:00pm to 3:30pm, Hale ʻImiloa 106, B Porter - CRN: 61387 - view syllabus
- Fall 2009 - MW, 1:30pm to 4:00pm, Hale ʻImiloa 106, Ingelia White - CRN: 62302 - view syllabus
- Spring 2007 - MW, 1:30pm to 4:20pm, Hale ʻImiloa 106, Ingelia White - CRN: 64240
- Fall 2004 - MW, 9:30am to 12:20pm, Hale ʻImiloa 101, Ingelia White - CRN: 61160