BIOL 101: Biology and Society (4 credits)
Historical development of scientific concepts, characteristics, and interaction of science and society from the perspective of biological sciences. (3 hours lecture, 3 hours laboratory)
Pre-Requisite(s): Credit in MATH 25, 26, 29, 82 or higher or equivalent preparation; and placement in ENG 100, or consent of instructor.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Distinguish science as a way of knowing from other epistemological systems.
- Discuss the historical development of the discipline of biology into what it is today, relating the contributions made by significant individuals and concepts of the past to modern biology.
- Explain the major integrating principles of biology.
- Explain the origin and organization of the diversity of life on Earth.
- Describe how living systems function, relating structure to function, at all levels within the hierarchy of life from molecules to the biosphere.
- Solve problems in inheritance and genetics.
- Present informed, rational and objective opinions on biologically-related issues important to human society.
- Use the scientific method of inquiry to investigate biological phenomena.
- Apply the concepts learned to an experimental and hands-on observational setting.
- Collect, reduce, and interpret biological data.
- Prepare written objective reports describing and interpreting experimental and observational results.
- Demonstrate the use of some of the standard tools and methods of the biological scientist, such as microscopes, scales, spectrophotometers, computers, dissection dichotomous keys, and other analytical tools.
- Identify the major systematic groups to which specimens of living things belong.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Spring 2011 - MWF, 10:30am to 11:20am, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Michelle Smith - CRN: 61221 - view syllabus
- Fall 2011 - WF, 12:30pm to 1:45pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Michelle Smith - CRN: 63394 - view syllabus
- Spring 2010 - MWF, 11:30am to 12:20pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 103, Virendra Nayyar - CRN: 63308
- Spring 2005 - TR, 11:15am to 12:30pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, M Berry - CRN: 62040
- Spring 2004 - MWF, 10:30am to 11:20am, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Virendra Nayyar - CRN: 63093
- Fall 2003 - MWF, 10:30am to 11:20am, Hale ‘Imiloa 117, Virendra Nayyar - CRN: 14160
- Spring 2003 - TR, 9:45am to 11:00am, Hale ‘Imiloa 113, Dave Ringuette - CRN: 35471
- Fall 2002 - MWF, 10:30am to 11:20am, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Virendra Nayyar - CRN: 6103