BIOL 101: Biology and Society (4 credits)
Historical development of scientific concepts, characteristics, and interaction of science and society from the perspective of biological sciences. (3 hours lecture, 3 hours laboratory)
Pre-Requisite(s): Credit for MATH 25 or higher or equivalent preparation. Eligibility for placement in ENG 100, or consent of instructor.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Distinguish science as a way of knowing from other epistemological systems.
- Discuss the historical development of the discipline of biology into what it is today, relating the contributions made by significant individuals and concepts of the past to modern biology.
- Explain the major integrating principles of biology.
- Explain the origin and organization of the diversity of life on Earth.
- Describe how living systems function, relating structure to function, at all levels within the hierarchy of life from molecules to the biosphere.
- Solve problems in inheritance and genetics.
- Present informed, rational and objective opinions on biologically-related issues important to human society.
- Use the scientific method of inquiry to investigate biological phenomena.
- Apply the concepts learned to an experimental and hands-on observational setting.
- Collect, reduce, and interpret biological data.
- Prepare written objective reports describing and interpreting experimental and observational results.
- Demonstrate the use of some of the standard tools and methods of the biological scientist, such as microscopes, scales, spectrophotometers, computers, dissection dichotomous keys, and other analytical tools.
- Identify the major systematic groups to which specimens of living things belong.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Spring 2011 - MWF, 10:30am to 11:20am, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Michelle Smith - CRN: 61221 - view syllabus
- Fall 2011 - WF, 12:30pm to 1:45pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Michelle Smith - CRN: 63394 - view syllabus
- Spring 2010 - MWF, 11:30am to 12:20pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 103, Virendra Nayyar - CRN: 63308
- Spring 2005 - TR, 11:15am to 12:30pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, M Berry - CRN: 62040
- Spring 2004 - MWF, 10:30am to 11:20am, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Virendra Nayyar - CRN: 63093
- Fall 2003 - MWF, 10:30am to 11:20am, Hale ‘Imiloa 117, Virendra Nayyar - CRN: 14160
- Spring 2003 - TR, 9:45am to 11:00am, Hale ‘Imiloa 113, Dave Ringuette - CRN: 35471
- Fall 2002 - MWF, 10:30am to 11:20am, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Virendra Nayyar - CRN: 6103