ANSC 253: Applied Pharmacology for Veterinary Technicians (3 credits)
This course is designed to give students a practical knowledge of drugs used in veterinary medicine. Topics include drug classification, methods of action, calculations, administration, effects and side effects. Also includes a discussion of client education, drug safety, and federal regulations governing the purchase and storage of controlled drugs. Upon successful completion, students will be able to properly calculate, dispense, and administer medications, recognize adverse reactions and maintain pharmaceutical inventory and administrative records. This course is intended for students entering veterinary technology, veterinary assisting, or other animal-related fields. (3 hours lecture)
Pre-Requisite(s): Admission in the Veterinary Technology Program and a grade of ďCĒ or better in all completed ANSC courses.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Recognize groups of veterinary drugs, their mechanisms & actions, and clinically relevant side effects.
- Correctly interpret a veterinarian's pharmacy orders.
- Accurately calculate, dispense, and administer the correct form and dose of a medication.
- Describe the safe and effective manner in which vaccines must be administered.
- Maintain a controlled substances log book in accordance with local and federal laws.
- Explain federal and state regulatory guidelines for drug purchase, storage, administration, withdrawal, disposal and inventory control.
- Accurately communicate drug information and dosing instructions to clients in order to maximize safety, compliance with prescribed therapy and successful treatment of the patient.
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
Note: ANSC 253 was originally numbered ANSC 251 and changed in November, 2011
- Fall 2017 - MW, 3:30pm to 4:45pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 117, Joe Herzog - CRN: 61140 - view syllabus
- Fall 2016 - asynchronous , Joe Herzog - CRN: 63192 - view syllabus
- Fall 2015 - WR, 2:30pm to 3:45pm, Hale Pālanakila 102, Zachary Albudri - CRN: 60267
- Fall 2014 - asynchronous , Joe Herzog - CRN: 62450 - view syllabus
- Fall 2013 - asynchronous , Joe Herzog - CRN: 64370 - view syllabus
- Fall 2012 - asynchronous , Joe Herzog - CRN: 61532 - view syllabus