ANSC 152: Companion Animal Diseases and Nutrition (3 credits)
An introduction to the husbandry and medical care of companion animals. Topics include canine and feline life cycles (including breeding, pregnancy and
parturition), housing and nutritional needs, exam procedures and medical recording, nursing and wound management, and identification and treatment of
common diseases. This course is intended for students entering veterinary technology, veterinary assisting, or other animal-related fields. (3 hours lecture)
Pre-Requisite(s): A grade of "C" or better for ANSC 142 and ANSC 142L.
Co-Requisite(s): Registration in ANSC 152L.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss energy and nutrient requirements for various life stages of companion animals and list substances that, when ingested, result in toxicity.
- Describe the importance of obtaining a complete patient history and performing a thorough physical exam.
- Describe how to perform various companion animal nursing procedures, including wound and abscess management.
- List the clinical signs and tests used in the diagnosis of common companion animal diseases.
- Describe the medical treatments for common companion animal diseases.
- Describe proper housing, husbandry and restraint for all life stages of cats and dogs.
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Spring 2015 - WR, 10:00am to 11:15am, Hale Pālanakila 102, Zachary Albudri - CRN: 63136 - view syllabus
- Spring 2015 - WR, 11:30am to 12:45pm, Hale Pālanakila 102, Zachary Albudri - CRN: 63197 - view syllabus
- Spring 2014 - M, 10:00am to 12:30pm, Hale Pālanakila 102, John Kaya - CRN: 60201 - view syllabus
- Spring 2014 - R, 10:00am to 12:30pm, Hale Pālanakila 102, John Kaya - CRN: 60341 - view syllabus
- Spring 2013 - WR, 2:30pm to 3:45pm, Hale Pālanakila 102, Zachary Albudri - CRN: 62254
- Spring 2013 - W, 11:30am to 2:15pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Zachary Albudri - CRN: 62482
- Spring 2012 - MW, 2:30pm to 3:45pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 133, Jan Chouljian - CRN: 64374 - view syllabus
- Fall 2011 - MW, 3:30pm to 4:45pm, Hale Pālanakila 102, Jan Chouljian - CRN: 63463 - view syllabus