ANSC 140: Introduction to Veterinary Technology (3 credits)
This course introduces students to the field of veterinary technology and describes the responsibilities and expectations for students enrolled in the program. Topics include: roles of the veterinary team members, legal and ethical aspects of veterinary practice, breeds of companion animals, safety, sanitation and waste-disposal protocols, and career fields in veterinary medicine. (3 hours lecture)
Pre-Requisite(s): Credit for or registration in ANSC 142 and ANSC 142L. Credit or placement in ENG 100 and Math 101. Confirmed attendance in WCC veterinary technology information session.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the roles and legal boundaries of veterinary health care team members and discuss the legality of the veterinary-client-patient relationship.
- Create and maintain facility records and maintain compliance with appropriate regulatory agencies.
- Identify and describe common workplace hazards, including zoonotic diseases.
- Establish and maintain appropriate sanitation, nosocomial, and waste-disposal protocols.
- Identify common breeds of companion animals.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
The course was formerly ANSC 141
- Fall 2015 - WR, 11:30am to 12:45pm, Hale Pālanakila 102, Jenny Kelly - CRN: 60131 - view syllabus
- Fall 2015 - WR, 1:00pm to 2:15pm, Hale Pālanakila 102, Jenny Kelly - CRN: 60158 - view syllabus
- Fall 2014 - MW, 8:30am to 9:45am, Hale Pālanakila 102, John Kaya - CRN: 62164 - view syllabus
- Fall 2014 - MW, 10:00am to 11:15am, Hale Pālanakila 102, John Kaya - CRN: 62211 - view syllabus
- Fall 2013 - MW, 2:30pm to 3:45pm, Hale Pālanakila 102, John Kaya - CRN: 64262 - view syllabus
- Fall 2013 - MW, 10:00am to 11:15am, Hale Pālanakila 102, John Kaya - CRN: 64369 - view syllabus
- Fall 2012 - TR, 1:00pm to 2:15pm, Hale Pālanakila 102, Sam Craddock - CRN: 61375
- Fall 2012 - MW, 10:00am to 11:15am, Hale ‘Imiloa 117, Sam Craddock - CRN: 61531