The Freeman Foundation Community College Program exists to promote international understanding through support for intensive second language training and international travel with study abroad opportunities to China, Japan, or Korea. Freeman Foundation provides financial support for full-time University of Hawai'i Community College students with the intent to incorporate intensive language training and international educational into the academic programs of each participant.
A maximum of ten Freeman Foundation Scholarships are awarded each semester. The scholarships support students in a variety of studies and provide qualified participants the opportunity to enroll in a one-year intensive program. Students selected for the Freeman Foundation Scholarship are required to enroll in 12 credit units during the first semester for an intensive content-based second language program offered at Kapiolani Community College. Sequentially, and pending successful completion of the intensive course, students will study abroad in China, Japan, or Korea for the remaining duration of the intensive program.
Download the flyer (PDF)
Eligibility and Criteria
- All candidates to the Freeman Foundation Community College Program must be citizens of the United States of America.
- Awards to students in good academic standing will be made on the basis of academic merit, in which, candidates must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Candidates may be registered either part-time or full-time (9 credits or more) status at a University of Hawaii Community College, in which the applicant is registered for at least a second semester of study at any of the UHCC campuses.
- All candidates must be degree-seeking students from a recognized field of study.
- No knowledge of target language is required. No more than college level 101 in the target language is acceptable. If you are currently in 102 level course, then you are not eligible to apply.
- Awards will be given only for the duration of one academic year.
- Recipients may be awarded a Freeman Foundation Community College Scholarship only once.
More information can be found at http://kapiolani.hawaii.edu/object/freeman.html