The ASC in Bio-Resources and Technology: Plant Biotechnology is no longer available. It has been replaced by the Certificate of Achievement in Agripharmatech.
The information below is for archival purposes only.
The ASC in Bio-Resources and Technology (Plant Biotechnology) will prepare students for careers in biotechnology and qualify them to transfer to bachelor of science degree programs. Knowledge in Plant Biotechnology will be an asset in the application of this technology to bioprocessing production systems, assuring a safe food supply and environment.
This certificate will consist of 26 credits. See course descriptions for prerequisites.
Download a brochure (PDF).
For more information, contact Inge White.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be able to:
- Cultivate and maintain plant growth.
- Identify plants.
- Achieve fluency in asceptic culture.
- Perform biotech lab activities (genetic engineering, DNA analysis).
- Conduct pharmaceutical and neutraceutical research.
- Apply technology, management, and marketing skills to become a bioprocessing entrepreneur.
- Follow standard ethics and regulations of the biotech profession, biosafety, and intellectual property rights.
This Certificate consists of 26 credits. See course descriptions for prerequisites.
Required courses: (16 credits)
BIOL 171 and Lab are recommended for students intending to major in General Biotechnology or the Environmental and Microbial Biotechnology at UH Manoa.
Electives: (10 credits)