Richard Fulton, former Vice-Chancellor of Academic Affairs
Windward Community College
45-720 Kea‘ahala Rd.
Kaneohe, HI 96744
- BA in English, Eastern Montana College, 1967
- AM in English, University of South Dakota, 1969
- Ph.D. in English (Victorian Studies), Washington State University, 1975
Vice Chancellor Fulton presented the final WCC Perkins plan that emphasized capacity building in programs to serve CTE students, including hybrid programs composed of credit and non-credit training in health and agriculture. Support for those programs will also be sought in equipment requests for Vet Tech and an assistive technology lab.
I'm currently working on a project that may or may not become a book that examines the cultural context of boys growing up in the 1870s and 80s, with a special focus on what from that mid-Victorian period may have precipitated an apparent spike in popular militarism in the 1890s.
Chapter one, focusing on discourse of boys adventure magazines and new journalism in the 1890s, is finally finished.
Professional Activities and Affiliations
- Former president and current business manager of the Victorian Interdisciplinary Studies Association of the Western United States (VISAWUS)
- Former President and current Senior Advisory Board member of the Research Society for Victorian Periodicals
- Former editor of Victorian Periodicals Review
Organized "Oceania and the East in the Victorian Imagination: 15th Annual Conference of the Victorian Interdisciplinary Studies Association of the Western United States (VISAWUS) - view a PDF summary
Some Publications (since 2002)
- Richard Fulton, "Sensational War Reporting and the Quality Press in Late-Victorian England and America," in Anglo-American Media Interactions, 1850-2000, ed. Joel H. Wiener and Mark Hampton (Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007).
- Richard Fulton, "John Walter"; "R. S. Rintoul"; "John Montague Benett-Stanford"; entries in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford: OUP, 2004, 06).
- Richard Fulton, "Can We Get a Little Help Here?" University Business (August 2003), 56.
- Book reviews (10) of books on Victorian subjects in journals focused on Victorian subjects.
- Since 2005, conference papers and seminars at CUNY Graduate School, University of New Mexico, Pepperdine University, and University of London, Roehampton University (London) and University of Washington
- Anything spicy (Memphis barbecue, Thai, chili)
- fresh seafood
- grilled steak
- Shaun of the Dead
- The Big Lebowski
- Anything by Ivan Doig
- Robert Graves, The Long Weekend
- L. Perry Curtis, Jack the Ripper and the London Press (available via eBrary)
- the entire Elmore Leonard ouevre
Most Interesting Job
- Trail crew, Glacier National Park
Favorite Place on the Island
- Emerging from the Pali tunnels on the Windward side.
- "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Today I have taken care of all the family's business." Michael Corleone
- Gilbert and Sullivan
- Pittsburgh Pirates baseball
- WSU Cougar basketball and football