Encouraging and Supporting Education for our Koʻolau Communities
A partnership between Windward Community College and Harold K.L. Castle Foundation
A college education is vital for competing in today's global economy. For many on O'ahu's Windward side, higher education and its many benefits are beyond financial reach. Paipai o Ko'olau works to change that. With a grant from the Harold K.L. Castle Foundation, 200 promising individuals will be chosen to attend Windward Community College with financial and academic support.
Paipai o Ko'olau is a project to increase college enrollment and graduation for the Ko'olaupoko and Ko'olauloa communities. Working with community partners to identify individuals who can benefit from college, Paipai o Ko'olau will provide scholarships and academic support to 50 students each year over the next four years, nurturing them from admission to graduation.
Paipai o Ko'olau provides support to students who are residents of Windward O'ahu and have demonstrated financial need that creates a barrier to entering college.
Priority is given to students who:
- are Native Hawaiian
- have not previously attended college
- have other needs that may affect their ability to attend college
- will not be able to attend college without Paipai o Ko'olau's support
- have strong recommendations from community partners
Applicants need to submit the Application and Application Checklist. The Community Partner Referral Form is similar to a letter of recommendation and needs to be filled out by someone who knows the applicant well and can attest to their dedication to school.
How can I get involved?
- Help us get the word out! Let people you know who could participate as students or community partners know about this program
- Recommend someone you know with a personal recommendation
- Become a Community Partner! Your organization can serve as an official affiliate that helps identify and refer community members who can benefit from Paipai o Ko'olau. Get involved—call us at 808-235-7466.