Windward Community College Logo

Curriculum Request to Create HAW 221

Please comment on the following curriculum change.

Download request for Curriculum Request for HAW 221 (PDF)

Related Links

The discussion finished on September 1, 2014
This discussion has anonymous posting.
You need to log in, but when you post, your identity will not be displayed or stored.
You must log in to post to this discussion.
Contributions are no longer possible.
The discussion was requested by Kathleen French

Comment by Anonymous (ID 871)

This is going to be a great course! A few comments on SLOʻs:
1. Show knowledge of phrases and idioms used by native speakers in common conversational settings.
---Show knowledge is vague. Maybe Utilize phrases and idioms used by native speakers in conversational settings in the classroom environment?
2. Demonstrate an increased fluidity and speech of spoken language and improved acquisition of listening skills.
---Type o? fluidity of speech? Maybe: Demonstrate increased fluidity (e.g. fewer hesitations, increased use of target language only) in speech and improved acquisition of listening skills, as demonstrated by appropriate verbal and non-verbal responses.

Just suggestions. I think it is good to define how you demonstrate a given skill, especially as fluidity and listening skills may be hard to define/quantify and may not be intuitive to students.

-ardis

submitted on August 18, 2014 - 9:12am

Comment by Anonymous (ID 873)

I like the above SLO suggestions by Ardis, and I think what I'm suggesting below might make them even clearer:

1. Use Hawaiian phrases and idioms in conversational settings in the classroom environment.

2. Speak fluidly and respond appropriately, both verbally and non-verbally.

Kathleen

submitted on August 18, 2014 - 5:53pm

Comment by Anonymous (ID 874)

I like the rephrasing! I have small suggestion - drop "in the classroom environment". It seems unnecessary to specify this and I don't think that is the outcome that is desired -- One would hope that students carry the skills they learn with us outside of the classroom.

Vanessa

submitted on August 19, 2014 - 9:37pm

Comment by Anonymous (ID 875)

Great point, Vanessa. Thanks for seeing that!

Kathleen

submitted on August 19, 2014 - 9:54pm

Comment by Anonymous (ID 876)

#9. Course Pre-Requisite: HAW 102 ( or concurrent) or consent
Why is our prerequisite lower than KAU & MAU prerequisite - HAW 202
A consideration: Should this be changed to be similar to WOA’s HAW 121, Intro to Hawn Conversation? This course does not have a prerequisite. We still could have HAW 221 and have the HAW 202 prerequisite like the other campuses.

#28 If approved, I couldn’t tell if the course was to be added to all of the ASC Hawaiian Studies as elective credits.
Certificate Area Action
ASC Hawaiian Studies: All 5 themes Elective Add

Patti

submitted on August 20, 2014 - 11:00am

<< end of discussion >>

You cannot contribute to this discussion at this time.

If you have not logged in, try logging in to post to this discussion.

Please email wccweb@hawaii.edu if you have questions or experience any problems.

page last updated: August 15, 2014