The Windward CC Vet Tech program has received
initial accreditation by
the American Veterinary Medical Association
Next Vet Tech Information Session: February 9, 6:00pm - Hale ‘Imiloa 133
Please attend if you are interested in the Veterinary Assisting and Veterinary Technology Program at Windward Community College
Information Session Topics:
- Program costs
- Program procedures
Orientation is mandatory for students entering Veterinary Assisting and the Veterinary Technician Programs.
Certificate of Achievement in Veterinary Assisting at Windward CC
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Certificate of Achievement in Veterinary Assisting is designed to provide students with the basic knowledge and skills required to perform effectively as an assistant in a veterinarian’s office, animal shelter or animal research facility. The two-semester program includes coursework in the physical and life sciences as well as hands-on experience through internships at local veterinary clinics.
Associate in Science in Veterinary Technology at Windward CC
Windward Community College’s Associate in Science in Veterinary Technology combines traditional classroom instruction with intensive hands-on laboratory and practical experience utilizing live animals in a clinical setting. Students enrolled in the program will receive training in pharmacology, radiology, anesthesiology, surgical assisting, dentistry, nutrition, and veterinary office procedures and will learn how to perform over 130 skill sets deemed essential by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
During the final year of the program, students will intern at three of WCC’s over 20 preceptor clinics and shelters where their skills will be evaluated and critiqued by industry professionals. Not only does this experience allow students to hone and apply their skills in a real world setting, it will serves as a bridge to future employment. To date, over 70% of our students have found employment in veterinary practice. Windward Community College is the only college in Hawaii that offers degree and certificate programs for veterinary paraprofessionals.
Windward CC has a transfer agreement with San Juan College, which offers an online Veterinary Technology AAS Degree.
click on the play button to start this Quicktime movie
After completing the program, students will be able to:
- Effectively communicate with clients and veterinary staff.
- Perform routine business transactions and maintain patient and facility records.
- Ensure the safety of patients, clients, and staff and maintain compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Identify common breeds of companion animals, list their nutritional requirements and husbandry needs, and describe the anatomy and functions of major body systems.
- Assist with physical exams and obtain patient histories.
- Perform routine nursing procedures including first-aid, wound-management, and administration of medications and vaccines.
- Develop a working knowledge of common companion animal diseases and their medical treatments.
- Collect biological samples and perform diagnostic laboratory tests.
The mission of the program is to increase the quality of veterinary care in Hawaii by providing students with essential skills and knowledge that will enable them to obtain rewarding, living-wage jobs in the animal care field.
The major objectives for this program are to:
- Train Hawaii's veterinary paraprofessionals to perform essential tasks in the veterinary hospital and lab animal facilities (e.g., administer anesthesia, take and develop radiographs, assist with surgical procedures, dispense medications, perform vital lab tests, and provide client education).
- Allow students to obtain industry-recognized credentials that will enable them to obtain employment at veterinary hospitals, lab animal facilities, and research laboratories throughout the United States and Canada.
- Meet the current and anticipated workforce needs in Hawaii. There are currently no training opportunities available in Hawaii for students wishing to become veterinarian technicians.