Sarah Hodell, Counselor, Assistant Professor
Hale ‘Ākoakoa, 212B
Windward Community College
45-720 Kea‘ahala Rd.
Kaneohe, HI 96744
Alternate Phone: 235-7413 (for appointment)
- Hawaiian, Asian, and Pacific Issues (HAP) Board
- Ke Kumu Pali
- Mission, Vision, and Core Values Committee
- Staff Development Committee
Course Evaluations: from eCafe
According to all career research, the average person changes careers at least four times in their life, whether they want to or not. As a career counselor, I have the opportunity to help students “bridge the gap” between life today and their hope of a meaningful career in the future.
I present my career path not to “brag”, but to share how my life has changed. At age 19 or 20, I could never have expected my life to be as it is today. I have not always accepted my changes easily, but in the long run they have all turned out better than I could have hoped for. I have always worked hard. Some say that I have gone to school too much. I’m not rich, but I am happy and I love my work.
- Colleges attended
- Guilford College
- American University
- Northern Arizona University
- UH Manoa
- Majors & degrees
- International Service (BA)
- Counseling (MEd)
- Learning Disabilities/Education (MED and Doctorate)
- Architecture graduate work
- Recreation Therapist
- Health Educator
- Assistant Professor
- and Counselor
- Goal # 1 - study politics in Washington, DC - worked with the US Senate & graduated from American University in DC, no jobs in the end...
- Goal # 2- "save the world" - worked in Public Health & Education with Cherokee Indians in Oklahoma and Navaho Indians in Tuba City, AZ, world was hard to save...
- Goal # 3 - inspire kids to love learning - taught elementary & high school in AZ, got too old...
- Goal # 4 - explore the world - trained teachers in Micronesia & American Samoa for UH Manoa, loved it...
- Goal # 5 - become an architect - unfinished studies in Architecture at UH Manoa, hardest thing I've ever done & loved it but was not good at it...
- Goal # 6 - help college students achieve their dreams -counseling & teaching college in Arizona and Hawaii, helping college students is the best...
- Grew up in Houston Texas with a horse in my back yard & cowboy boots on my feet
- Left home after high school to "explore" & "save" the world
- Couldn't get enough of a good education - like a bowl of Dave's coconut ice cream
- Marched for peace & taught on Indian reservations
- GOT SERIOUS about having a career path after 2 master's degrees
- Moved to Hawai‘i 25 years ago to teach and counsel college students - still here and loving it
IS 103 - Introduction to College
- Fall 2014 - TR, 10:00am to 11:15am, Hale Pālanakila 211 - CRN: 62345 - view syllabus
- Fall 2013 - TR, 8:30am to 9:45am, Hale Pālanakila 213 - CRN: 64549
- Fall 2012 - MW, 8:30am to 9:45am, Hale ‘Imiloa 101 - CRN: 61344 - view syllabus
- Fall 2010 - TR, 11:15am to 12:30pm, Hale Pālanakila 224 - CRN: 60379
IS 105B - Career Decision Making
- Fall 2009 - TR, 11:15am to 12:30pm, Hale No‘eau 124 - CRN: 62339 - view syllabus
- Fall 2008 - TR, 11:15am to 12:30pm, Hale No‘eau 124 - CRN: 64315
- Fall 2007 - TR, 1:30pm to 2:45pm, Hale Kuhina 112 - CRN: 61298
- Fall 2006 - MWF, 8:30am to 9:20am, Hale No‘eau 123 - CRN: 63286
IS 105C - Professional Employment Preparation
- Fall 2009 - TR, 11:15am to 12:30pm, Hale No‘eau 124 - CRN: 62340 - view syllabus
- Fall 2008 - TR, 11:15am to 12:30pm, Hale No‘eau 124 - CRN: 64316
- Fall 2007 - TR, 1:30pm to 2:45pm, Hale Kuhina 112 - CRN: 61299
- Fall 2006 - MWF, 8:30am to 9:20am, Hale No‘eau 123 - CRN: 63285