Ardis Eschenberg, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
Hale Alaka‘i, 121C
Windward Community College
45-720 Kea‘ahala Rd.
Kaneohe, HI 96744
- Chancellor's Administrative Staff Committee
- Commencement Committee
- Institutional Effectiveness Committee
- Ke Kumu Pali
- Marketing Committee
- Master Planning and Space Allocation Committee, ex officio, non-voting
- Planning and Budget Council
Other Responsibilities and Activities
- designatee, Campus Security Authority
Areas Responsible for:
Admissions and Records
TRIO (Student Support Services, Upward Bound, Educational Talent Search)
Title III Developmental
Title III Collaborative (Hulili)
First Year Experience
ASUH (student government)
Ka Piko Learning Center
- B.S. Tulane University, Russian and Psychology, cum laude
- M.A. University at Buffalo, Linguistics. Thesis: Focus Structure in Polish - available as PDF
- Ph.D. in Linguistics, University of Buffalo, 2005 - Dissertation entitled The Article System of Umonhon - available as PDF
I am currently working with Mrs. Alice Saunsoci on a book, 501 Verbs in Umonhon, which gives the conjugations (I form, You form, S\he form, imperative, etc.) for Omaha verbs and example sentences. It is meant to be used by those wishing to learn Omaha, an extremely endangered Native American language, and also anyone interested in such materials for linguistic or pedagogical reasons. It also serves to document a small piece of the amazing richness of this language. For example, in Omaha, one uses a different verb for 'to open' based on whether one opens with a straight or twisting motion. Such fine distinctions can be lost or never documented as they are not salient to European language-based researchers. However, Mrs. Saunsoci, who spoke only Omaha until age 9, is a primary author of this book and has worked hard to ensure we document as best as possible. I am thankful and blessed to be involved with this project.
- Society for the Study of the Indigenous Languages of the Americas (SSILA)
- Oklahoma Native Language Association
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Mortar Board
In Progress. 501 Verbs in Umonhon. 2009 Umonhon Iye. Nebraska Indian Community College, Macy, Nebraska (with Alice F. Saunsoci)
2006. Polish narrow focus constructions, in Topic and Focus: a workshop on intonation and meaning, C.M. Lee (ed). Kluwer.
2004. The operator projection, Omaha and diachronic syntax in RRG. Proceedings of the 2004 Role and Reference Grammar Conference. Dublin.
1998. Multiple level concatenation in Omaha-Ponca. Proceedings from the Panels of the Chicago Linguistic Society’s Thirty-sixth Meeting, Volume 36-2, Arika Okrent and John Boyle (eds.).
I love to eat. I am crazy about spicy food (Thai, Turkish, Indian, Cajun, Ethiopian) and seafood (sushi, plate lunch, I even like the tuna sub at subway). I also like well-prepared French and Italian cuisine, German sausages, Russian borscht, plate lunch. Food is central to cultures and is something that many from outside a given culture can appreciate. Chocolate and caffeine are my two favorite food groups.
- The Business of Fancydancing
- Burnt by the Sun
- The Blues Brothers
- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
- The Prophet
- Ten Little Indians (Sherman Alexie)
- Hannibal (the fighter of Romans, not Anthony Hopkins)
Most Interesting Job
- Linguist to the Omaha Language Center of Excellence at Nebraska Indian Community College
Let us put our minds together and see what life we can make for our children. — Sitting Bull
Behold, my friends, the spring is come; the earth has gladly received the embraces of the sun, and we shall soon see the results of their love! — Sitting Bull
Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty. — Albert Einstein
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind. — Bob Marley
Work together as a fist, not separately as easily broken fingers. — (This is a common metaphor. So, while I may have said this, others have said very similar things in the past.)