General Education Mission Statement
Windward Community College provides an open door to a comprehensive general education through which students enhance basic tools of inquiry for understanding themselves and the world around them, develop their capacity to expand and apply knowledge, and cultivate more creative and meaningful lives. With an orientation to Hawai`i and its unique heritage, general education at Windward CC includes:
- Global and Cultural Awareness - download rubric (Word doc)
- Critical Thinking and Creativity - download rubric (Word doc)
- Communication - download rubric (Word doc)
- Information Literacy - download rubric (Word doc)
General Education Student Learning Outcomes
Global and Cultural Awareness
Develop the ability to perceive how people interact with their cultural and natural environments, through their own worldview and through the worldviews of others, in order to analyze how individuals and groups function in local and global contexts.
Specific outcomes in Global and Cultural Awareness may include
- Analyze and empathize with the attitudes and beliefs of other cultures.
- Identify instances where cultural norms affect cross-cultural communication.
- Explore how various factors shape a culture’s development and values and one’s sense of place.
Critical Thinking and Creativity
Make judgments, solve problems, and reach decisions using analytical, critical, and creative thinking skills.
Specific outcomes in Critical Thinking and Creativity may include
- Identify challenges and problems and find solutions through creative exploration, scientific and quantitative reasoning, and other forms of inquiry.
- Analyze complex ideas to arrive at reasoned conclusions.
- Use creative processes to discover potential and to express ideas and beliefs.
Use written, visual, and oral communication to discover, develop, and communicate meaning, and to respond respectfully to the ideas of others in multiple environments.
Specific outcomes in Communication may include
- Listen to, comprehend, interpret, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate ideas.
- Present ideas in a variety of formats, including written, oral, and visual.
- Convey ideas and facts to a variety of audiences in various contexts.
Identify information needed in a variety of situations, and access, evaluate, and use relevant information effectively and responsibly.
Specific outcomes in Information Literacy may include
- Determine the nature and extent of information needed in order to accomplish a goal.
- Use appropriate resources and methods to access and acquire relevant information.
- Critically evaluate information and its sources.
- Organize, synthesize, and communicate information to achieve a specific purpose.
- Apply ethical, legal, and social standards when using information and information technology.