MATH 112: Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II (3 credits)
Math 112 is the second of a two-course sequence designed to give prospective elementary education majors the depth of understanding necessary to teach mathematics in the elementary classroom. Topics include the representation of and operations on the natural numbers and properties of those operations. Emphasis will be on communication, connections and problem solving, representation and reasoning. (3 hours lecture)
Pre-Requisite(s): Grade of “C” or better in MATH 111.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Communicate about arithmetic operations using set theory and counting in written and/or oral form.
- Explain the relationship between addition and subtraction; and between multiplication and division.
- Represent operations of addition and multiplication using translations along a line and composition of translations.
- Interpret new functions created by magnification and reflection.
- Discuss primes and their relationship to composite numbers.
- Interpret a rational number as a ratio when connected to probabilities, or as a rate such as speed and averages.
- Use dimensional analysis to help solve a problem.
- Define an irrational number and explain the significance of specific irrational numbers such as pi.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Spring 2014 - TR, 8:30am to 9:45am, Hale Mana‘opono 101, Clayton Akatsuka - CRN: 60116 - view syllabus
- Spring 2013 - TR, 8:30am to 9:45am, Hale Mana‘opono 101, Clayton Akatsuka - CRN: 62131 - view syllabus
- Spring 2012 - TR, 8:30am to 9:45am, Hale Mana‘opono 101, Clayton Akatsuka - CRN: 64157 - view syllabus
- Spring 2011 - TR, 8:15am to 9:30am, Hale Mana‘opono 114, Clayton Akatsuka - CRN: 61179 - view syllabus
- Spring 2010 - TR, 8:15am to 9:30am, Hale Alaka‘i 130, Clayton Akatsuka - CRN: 63255 - view syllabus
- Summer 2009 - MTRF, 10:30am to 12:05pm, Hale Mana‘opono 115, Clayton Akatsuka - CRN: 61009
- Spring 2008 - TR, 8:15am to 9:30am, Hale Mana‘opono 115, Clayton Akatsuka - CRN: 62158