IS 204: Themes in Popular Culture (3 credits)
An interdisciplinary study of a specific event, person, idea, or process in popular culture which will bring together various methodologies and conceptual tools to create a complex analysis. Topics covered will include: the concept of popular culture, how elements of popular culture are created and circulated, how elements of popular culture connect to historical, political, social, symbolic and intellectual history, how different groups in society are related to the elements of popular culture, and how popular culture plays a role in the lives of individuals. (3 hours lecture)
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the connection between the theme in popular culture with larger political, social, and intellectual patterns in society.
- Analyze the connection between the theme in popular culture and other themes, either contemporary or historical.
- Participate effectively in group discussions, given evidence of thoughtfulness and an engagement with other people's positions.
- Connect local elements of popular culture to global economic and political systems.
- Explain and justify an evaluation of the role of popular culture in the student's life.
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Fall 2015 - MW, 10:00am to 11:15am, Hale Pālanakila 213, Malia Lau Kong - CRN: 60307
- Fall 2015 - R, 1:00pm to 3:30pm, Hale Pālanakila 213, Nicolas Logue - CRN: 60308
- Spring 2015 - T, 1:00pm to 3:30pm, Hale Pālanakila 213, Nicolas Logue - CRN: 63278 - view syllabus
- Summer 2015 - MW, 10:00am to 12:45pm, Hale Pālanakila 227, Malia Lau Kong - CRN: 64083
- Spring 2014 - M, 1:00pm to 3:30pm, Hale Pālanakila 213, Nicolas Logue - CRN: 60621 - view syllabus
- Fall 2014 - W, 11:30am to 2:00pm, Hale Pālanakila 214, Malia Lau Kong - CRN: 62499 - view syllabus
- Fall 2014 - R, 2:30pm to 5:00pm, Hale Pālanakila 213, Nicolas Logue - CRN: 62500 - view syllabus
- Summer 2013 - TWR, 11:00am to 1:10pm, Hale Pālanakila 225, Malia Lau Kong - CRN: 63020