ICS 214: Fundamentals of Design for Print and Web (3 credits)
Introduces development principles related to graphic design terminology, tools and media, and layout and design concepts. Topics include integration of type, images and other design elements, developing computer skills in industry standard computer programs, and study of design development pertaining to color theories, publications, and advertising. Projects will emphasize relating form to content through selection, creation and integration of typographic, digital imaging, illustrative and design elements in print and Web environments. (3 hours lecture)
Pre-Requisite(s): Credit for ICS 100 or ICS 101.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of important design techniques, visual thinking, concept development and composition.
- Understand conceptual knowledge about elements of art such as objects, texture, color theory, space, and character design.
- Learn next generation image editing tools, edit and retouch images, apply special affects, adjust color balance to produce images that resemble water color and oils, rapidly produce dynamic graphics for the web with interactive buttons and rollovers.
- Create graphics that heighten the appearance of web content, product design, business graphics, logo designing, graphics for print brochures, artwork and corporate presentations.
- Develop a personal style and vision, and design.
- Integrate and produce professional publishing, create graphic - intensive documents with precision and control for pre-press.
- Create projects based on case studies in the following areas: Print and Publishing, Broadcast and Web Media.
- Use planning and appropriate processes in web site designing, and then apply to the design and creation of web pages.
- Use planning and appropriate processes in publication designing, and then apply to the design and creation of publications.
- Present information based on work done for projects.
- Create animated graphics, designing interactive elements, add sound and integrate movies into web sites.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Fall 2011 - asynchronous , Jonathan Marquardt - CRN: 63145 - view syllabus
- Fall 2010 - asynchronous , Jonathan Marquardt - CRN: 60157 - view syllabus
- Fall 2009 - T, 5:30pm to 8:00pm, Hale No‘eau 123, Jonathan Marquardt - CRN: 62187 - view syllabus
- Fall 2008 - MW, 5:30pm to 6:55pm, Hale No‘eau 123, Jonathan Marquardt - CRN: 64263 - view syllabus