ICS 119: Introduction to Social Media (3 credits)
This computing course explores the foundations of building a presence on the Web, developing an entity's brand and creating a social channel to share ideas, expertise and business philosophies. Topics covered: choosing a domain name, securing a content hosting service, initiating content creation, and constructing a social web channel. (3 hours lecture)
Recommended Preparation: Write well-formed sentences and organized paragraphs using proper grammar and correct spelling. Have computing skills including file management, uploading/downloading files and Internet search skills.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Use the appropriate social media tools to create an online identity.
- Create content that uniquely represents an entity's image.
- Plan and implement a social media campaign and analyze its effectiveness.
- Analyze the ethical roles and responsibilities of a content creator.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Spring 2015 - asynchronous , Burton Lum - CRN: 63191 - view syllabus
- Spring 2014 - asynchronous , Burton Lum - CRN: 60317 - view syllabus
- Fall 2014 - asynchronous , Burton Lum - CRN: 62249 - view syllabus
- Spring 2013 - asynchronous , Burton Lum - CRN: 62441
- Fall 2013 - asynchronous , Burton Lum - CRN: 64435