ICS 115: Advanced Computing Applications (3 credits)
Expands the concepts of computing introduced in ICS 101 or ICS 100. Develops greater proficiency in creating and modifying word processing documents, spreadsheets, database queries, reports, forms and presentation software. Broadens knowledge of the above packages by integrating the applications with one another and utilizing timely Internet Web technologies with each. Web technologies will include creating online blogs, dynamic Web spreadsheets, basic Web pages, Web podcasts, and videos. (3 hours lecture)
Pre-Requisite(s): ICS 100 or ICS 101 or consent of faculty.
Recommended Preparation: High School Algebra
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Define technical terminology relating to application packages and their relationship with Web 2.0 tools.
- Demonstrate file management competency in a networked environment.
- Use backup and recovery programs necessary to safeguard user data files in a networked environment.
- Use a word processor to produce a desktop publishing document.
- Use a spreadsheet to analyze and present dynamic interactive numeric information, graphs and charts.
- Use a database program to create forms, queries and reports that can retrieve Web-based data.
- Use a presentation graphics program with appropriate audio and visual components that can be viewed on the Web.
- Use integration tools for sharing information between different applications programs.
- Use data acquisition tools such as scanners, optical character recognition, and Internet searching to retrieve data.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Spring 2011 - asynchronous , Peggy Regentine - CRN: 61145 - view syllabus
- Fall 2011 - T, 9:30am to 10:45am, Hale No‘eau 123, Peggy Regentine - CRN: 63371 - view syllabus
- Spring 2010 - asynchronous , Peggy Regentine - CRN: 63188 - view syllabus
- Spring 2009 - asynchronous , Peggy Regentine - CRN: 60266 - view syllabus