HAW 101: Elementary Hawaiian I (4 credits)
An elementary course in the Hawaiian language which focuses on rules of grammar, pattern drills, the building of an adequate vocabulary to facilitate conversation, and reading of selected materials at an elementary level. (4 hours lecture, 1 hour laboratory)
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Recognize and reproduce the correct pronunciation of consonants, semivowels, vowels, diphthongs, words and names in Hawaiian.
- Demonstrate the ability to comprehend and respond to basic directions, requests, questions and answers.
- Demonstrate the ability to generate basic phrases and sentences for everyday situations with a vocabulary of 400-500 Hawaiian words, plus idiomatic expressions.
- Demonstrate the ability to read and write Hawaiian sentences at an elementary level on subject matter covered in class.
- Speak Hawaiian with the proper inflection, intonation, and rhythm.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare db_connect() (previously declared in E:\windward.hawaii.edu\WebRoot\Default\includes\connectdatabase.php:14) in E:\windward.hawaii.edu\WebRoot\Default\includes\connectdatabase.php on line 29