FSHN 185: Human Nutrition (3 credits)
An introductory level biological science course which integrates basic concepts of science with the study of human nutrition. Designed for students who want an introduction to nutrition, as well as those who later choose to major in it. (3 hours lecture)
Pre-Requisite(s): Placement into ENG 100 and MATH 25 or higher, or consent of instructor.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the six categories of nutrients and evaluate the nutrient adequacy of a diet.
- Identify factors influencing eating habits.
- Correctly interpret and evaluate information on food labels, packages and product advertising based on generally accepted scientific methods and standards.
- Define various types of malnutrition and discuss their causes, cures, and associated health effects.
- Discuss current issues related to the safety of the food supply, using concepts from toxicology.
- Describe physiological changes that occur during the life cycle and explain the changes in nutrient needs that accompany these changes.
- Discuss various environmental and ecological conditions, which interact with human nutrition, both locally and globally.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Fall 2013 - MW, 4:00pm to 5:15pm, Hale Pālanakila 102, Jamie Boyd - CRN: 64117
- Fall 2012 - MW, 4:00pm to 5:15pm, Hale Alaka‘i 130, Jamie Boyd - CRN: 61132 - view syllabus
- Spring 2012 - MW, 10:00am to 11:15am, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Jamie Boyd - CRN: 64339 - view syllabus
- Fall 2011 - MW, 9:30am to 10:45am, Hale Alaka‘i 101, Jamie Boyd - CRN: 63143
- Fall 2010 - MW, 3:00pm to 4:15pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 111, Jamie Boyd - CRN: 60155 - view syllabus
- Fall 2009 - MW, 3:00pm to 4:25pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 113, Jamie Boyd - CRN: 62185 - view syllabus
- Fall 2008 - MW, 3:00pm to 4:25pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Jamie Boyd - CRN: 64259
- Fall 2006 - TR, 9:45am to 11:00am, Hale ‘Imiloa 133, Jacquie Maly - CRN: 63304
- Spring 2005 - MW, 5:30pm to 6:55pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Jacquie Maly - CRN: 62086
- Spring 2004 - TR, 7:15pm to 8:40pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 133, L Nagai - CRN: 63106
- Spring 2003 - TR, 7:15pm to 8:40pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, L Nagai - CRN: 35499