CHEM 151: Elementary Survey of Chemistry (3 credits)
Provides the student with an adequate background in the fundamentals of chemistry. Covers the basic language and quantitative relationships of chemistry, including atomic structure, chemical bonding, structure-property relationships, chemical reactions. Prerequisite to CHEM 152 for majors in medical technology and nursing and other allied health and science-related fields, or can be taken as a preparatory course for CHEM 161. (3 hours lecture)
Pre-Requisite(s): Credit for MATH 24 or higher and grade of “C” or better in ENG 21 or placement in ENG 22 or higher.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Predict properties of chemical elements based on their atomic structure and their location in the Periodic Table.
- Name chemical compounds, balance chemical and nuclear reactions.
- Predict properties of chemical compounds based on chemical bonding, molecular shapes, and polarity.
- Calculate mass relationships in chemical reactions and the quantity of matter in gaseous chemicals and chemical solutions.
- Predict the products of common chemical reactions.
- Apply knowledge of chemical concepts to a current environmental, health, industrial, or technological issue or condition by writing a short research paper.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare db_connect() (previously declared in E:\windward.hawaii.edu\WebRoot\Default\includes\connectdatabase.php:13) in E:\windward.hawaii.edu\WebRoot\Default\includes\connectdatabase.php on line 30